Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position Representation in QFT?

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1

referframe

Gold Member

I have read that, in QFT, unlike QM, there is no position probability density function because position is not considered an observable.

Then how is a position measurement represented/modeled in QFT?

As always, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2
    Position operator and position representation can be defined in relativistic QFT just as well as in ordinary quantum mechanics. You may want to check

E. V. Stefanovich, "Is Minkowski space-time compatible with quantum mechanics?", Found. Phys., 32 (2002), 673.

before forming your own opinion.

Eugene.

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Just a second: there is a big difference between the 'x' in QM and the 'x' in QFT. 'x' in QM is an operator, whereas 'x' in QFT is a continuous index.

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4
    I agree completely, the field argument 'x' in QFT has no relationship to the position observable and its eigenvalues. The true position operator should be built by the Newton-Wigner recipe.

Eugene.

6. Sep 5, 2011 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Even though it is true in the standard formulation of QFT, I think there is a way to reformulate QFT such that x becomes an operator just as in many-particle QM. See Sec. 3 of
    http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0904.2287 [Int. J. Mod. Phys. A25:1477-1505, 2010]

7. Oct 8, 2011 #6
    As you well say, position is not an observable in QFT and cannot be measured/modeled. As a consequence, any initial position dependence must be eliminated from the equations before going to the lab, and this is the reason for which the only physically relevant QFT object is the S-matrix, which does not depend of position (spatial coordinates are integrated out and eliminated from the matrix).

As Mandl and Shaw note in his classic QFT textbook, this is a fundamental difference between QFT and QM.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook