Position three point charges so net force is zero

In summary, jelli has three charges, two with the same charge (magnitude and sign) and one with a smaller charge (magnitude and opposite sign to the other two). How would he position them so that the net force on any of them is zero? Homework Equations point charge force is F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2 where q1 and q2 are point charges, k is 9*10^9, r is distance between charges. Electric force, point charge Fp = kq/r^2. The Attempt at a Solution is where magnitude q_a > magnitude q_b. fnet = k(+q_a)/a^2 + k(+
jelliDollFace

Homework Statement

li have three charges, 2 with same charge (magnitude and sign) and 1 with a smaller charge(smaller magnitude and opposite sign to the other two). how would i position them on a line so that the net force on any of them is zero

Homework Equations

electric force, F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2 where q1 and q2 are point charges, k = 9*10^9, r is distance between charges

electric force, point charge Fp = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

where magnitude q_a > magnitude q_b

fnet = k(+q_a)/a^2 + k(+q_a)/b + k(-q_b)/c^2
0 = k(+q_a)/a^2 + k(+q_a)/b + k(-q_b)/c^2
k(q_b)/c^2 = k(+q_a)/a^2 + k(+q_a)/b

now what do i do? is my relationship correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
jelliDollFace said:

Homework Statement

li have three charges, 2 with same charge (magnitude and sign) and 1 with a smaller charge(smaller magnitude and opposite sign to the other two). how would i position them on a line so that the net force on any of them is zero

Homework Equations

electric force, F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2 where q1 and q2 are point charges, k = 9*10^9, r is distance between charges

electric force, point charge Fp = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Are you free to set the value of the smaller charge?

And is the net force on all charges supposed to be 0? That Is my reading of your problem.

no the values stated were two +4q and one -q charge, i didn't think the numerical value mattered that much. yes, position the three charges on a line so that they each experience a net force of zero

i don't think should be any calculations, theoretically couldn't you just separate the point charges by a huge distance and get zero netforce?

Last edited:
Hi jelliDollFace! :smile:
jelliDollFace said:

No … on each charge, there are only two forces …

how did you get three in the same equation?

Hint: just think this out logically …

the two equal charges will repel each other, so the third one must be placed so as to counteract that …

since the charges are equal, where must it be placed? :smile:
no the values stated were two +4q and one -q charge, i didn't think the numerical value mattered that much.

i think you'll find it does matter! :wink:

so tiny_tim, since there are two forces per charge, it means opposite but equal forces (same magnitude, different sign)

sooo if i put the -q equally distanced between the two +4q charges on the line, then...
let 1 = +4q left, 2 = -q center, 3 = +4 right

force of 1 on 2 = 4k/r^2, and 2 on 1 = -4k/r^2
force of 2 on 3 = 4k/r^2 and 3 on 2 = -4k/r^2

so net would be zero because the equal but opposite forces cancel each other out, am i right?

jelliDollFace said:
no the values stated were two +4q and one -q charge, i didn't think the numerical value mattered that much. yes, position the three charges on a line so that they each experience a net force of zero

i don't think should be any calculations, theoretically couldn't you just separate the point charges by a huge distance and get zero netforce?

Well it does matter, because it must be 4Q and q.

And there is something else about the problem that gives you the answer without calculating much of anything.

What must the alignment of the charges be if the Force is proportional to 1/r2?

jelliDollFace said:
so tiny_tim, since there are two forces per charge, it means opposite but equal forces (same magnitude, different sign)

sooo if i put the -q equally distanced between the two +4q charges on the line, then...
let 1 = +4q left, 2 = -q center, 3 = +4 right

force of 1 on 2 = 4k/r^2, and 2 on 1 = -4k/r^2
force of 2 on 3 = 4k/r^2 and 3 on 2 = -4k/r^2

so net would be zero because the equal but opposite forces cancel each other out, am i right?

Yup! :biggrin:

(sometimes it's that easy! :wink:)​

yayy, thanks so much, the whole 'equal but opposite' thing totally skipped my mind

Just joined physics forum. Is interested in jelli's question, do you have the idea?

1. What is the concept of position three point charges so net force is zero?

The concept of positioning three point charges so that the net force is zero is based on the principle of electrostatic equilibrium. This means that the forces acting on each of the three charges are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero.

2. How do you determine the positions of the three point charges to achieve a net force of zero?

The positions of the three point charges can be determined by using the principle of superposition, where the individual forces between each pair of charges are calculated and then added together. By adjusting the positions of the charges, the net force can be brought to zero.

3. What is the significance of positioning three point charges to achieve a net force of zero?

Achieving a net force of zero by positioning three point charges is important in understanding the stability and equilibrium of charged systems. It also has practical applications in designing electrical circuits and devices.

4. Can three point charges with different magnitudes achieve a net force of zero?

Yes, it is possible for three point charges with different magnitudes to achieve a net force of zero. The key is to find the right combination of positions for the charges where the individual forces are balanced.

5. What other factors besides position can affect the net force of three point charges?

Besides position, the magnitude and sign of the charges themselves can also affect the net force. Additionally, any external electric fields present in the system can also contribute to the net force acting on the charges.