Finding the Equilibrium Position for Three Charges

In summary, the problem involves finding the position where a third charge can be placed so that the net electrostatic force on it is zero. By applying Coulomb's law and setting the forces between the two existing charges equal to each other, a quadratic equation is formed. This can be solved to find the position of the third charge. However, there may be other methods of solving the problem without using the quadratic equation.
Fireupchip

Homework Statement

A charge of 2.21E-9 C is placed at the origin, and a charge of 3.78E-9 C is placed at x = 1.60 m. Find the position at which a third charge of 2.94E-9 C can be placed so that the net electrostatic force on it is zero.

Homework Equations

Coloumb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

All 3 charges are positive, so for the net force to be zero, I believe that the 3rd charge will go in the middle of the other 2 charges.

+q1 |----1.60m - r -----| +q3 |------ r------| +q2

Knowns:
q1 = 2.21 x 10^-9 C
q2 = 3.78 x 10^-9 C
q3 = 2.94 x 10^-9 C
r (between q1 and q2) = 1.60 m

F1 = F2

the k and q3 both cancel, leaving me with:

q1 / (1.60m - r)^2 = q2 / r^2

I cross multiplied, giving me:

q1 / q2 = (1.60m - r)^2 / r^2

This is where I think I'm having a problem. From this point, I found 2 different answers, and both turned out to be wrong: 0.91m and 1.05m (both from q1). Can anyone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't completely "cross multiply" (and I dislike that term). You did multiply on both sides by the denominator on the left, (160- r)^2. Now multiply on both sides by the denominator on the right to get (q1/q2)r^2= (160- r)^2. Multiply out the square on the right and you a quadratic equation to solve for r.

So if I multiply the square out on the right, there'll still be an r on the left side.

My physics professor said to avoid using the quadratic equation in this situation. Where am I going wrong?

Anyone?

1. What is meant by "net force zero"?

"Net force zero" refers to the condition in which the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to zero, resulting in a state of equilibrium. This means that the object is either at rest or moving with a constant velocity.

2. How do you determine if the net force on an object is zero?

To determine if the net force on an object is zero, you need to calculate the sum of all the forces acting on the object. If the sum is equal to zero, then the net force is zero, and the object is in a state of equilibrium. If the sum is not equal to zero, then there is a net force acting on the object, causing it to accelerate.

3. What factors can contribute to a net force of zero?

Several factors can contribute to a net force of zero. These include the magnitude and direction of individual forces, as well as the position and orientation of the object. If the forces acting on an object are balanced and cancel each other out, the net force will be zero.

4. Can an object be in motion with a net force of zero?

Yes, an object can be in motion with a net force of zero. This occurs when the object is moving at a constant velocity, meaning that the forces acting on it are balanced and there is no acceleration. This is known as dynamic equilibrium.

5. How does the concept of net force zero relate to Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. The concept of net force zero is related to this law as it describes the state of equilibrium that an object will remain in unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.