1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poss Textbook Error Concerning Momentum

1. Jul 22, 2014 #1
    From Matter & Interactions Volume 3:

Screen_Shot_2014_07_22_at_1_25_24_PM.png

Am I correct that there is something wrong with the statement of the velocity vector here? The components are missing in the statement of the problem, yes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2014 #2
    Since the proscribed answer clearly uses information that cannot be derived from the information given, that would definitely be a case. A very large typo. :)

4. Jul 22, 2014 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Yea that doesn't look right to me. Either components or phi,theta measurements. Is it possible that this question is a subset of another question that did give angle measurements? Or maybe it's an entirely different solution, as the problem statement says the velocity is 2E7, whereas the solution says the speed is 3.7E7.

This looks relativistic, is that speed relative to a moving observer?

5. Jul 22, 2014 #4
    Thank you both for the replies. I just wanted to be sure. It was not a subset of another question. Just an error. This text seems to have quite a few unfortunately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted