Possible Causes of Background Noise in Speaker and Earphone Setup

  • Thread starter Thread starter PiRsq
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
PiRsq
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
This may not entirely be a physics question but I know physicists here might know something about it. If it seems to be irrelevant then please delete it.

I have a speaker and a earphone. When I plug the earphone into the speaker's earphone jack, I hear a constant background noise, even when there is no music, for example, is being played. So what could be causing that noise?

Here are the specs for the speaker and the earphone:

speaker
Total RMS power: 4 watts RMS (2W + 2W)
Total peak power: 8 watts
Frequency response: 70Hz - 20kHz
Drivers: 2" full-range
Dimensions (H x W x D): 9" x 3" x 3.5"
Signal-to-noise ratio: >70dB

earphone
Driver Unit: 16mm diameter
Impedance: 16 at 1 kHz
Sensitivity: 108 dB/mW
Frequency 16-22000Hz
Power Handling Capacity: 50mW
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is loud enough to cause a serious distraction but not as loud to cause the ear to hurt, although prolonged exposure could cause the ear to hurt. It does vary with the volume.
 
Does the background noise come from the speak also? I'm guessing a defective headphone.
 
what does the noise sound like?
(e.g. hiss, static, intermittent static)
 
david90: The background noise comes from the speaker only at high volume and even then I can only hear it if I hold my ear 10cm near the speaker. I tried the earphones on my MP3 player and also Home Stereo and it works perfectly well.

Ouabache: It is static noise, without intermittance

I've been reading about this and I wonder if it has anythig to do with the impedance between the headphone jack of the speaker and the earphones...?