Possible Miscalculation on Identity-Completion

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dundee3
  • Start date
In summary, you were unable to solve a math problem that involved completing an identity using the cosine and sine functions. You were able to find the solution by using the cosine and sine functions, and by enclosing your code within tags. You were also able to find the solution to a different problem by using the Quick $\LaTeX$ element on our posting pages.
Dundee3
Hey homies, I've been working on some of my usual jazz, when I came across one hiccup.

My problem is this:

sin(5x)sin(8x)cos(5x)cos(8x)

x = theta, and my objective is to complete the identity.According to my notes, the correct solution is:

[cos^2(3x) - cos^2(13x)] / 4I just can't bring my own solution to match the one that has been given.Any help would be totally cool.

Thanks guys, Merry Christmas <3

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Dundee3 said:
Hey homies, I've been working on some of my usual jazz, when I came across one hiccup.

My problem is this:

sin(5x)sin(8x)cos(5x)cos(8x)

x = theta, and my objective is to complete the identity.According to my notes, the correct solution is:

[cos^2(3x) - cos^2(13x)] / 4I just can't bring my own solution to match the one that has been given.Any help would be totally cool.

Thanks guys, Merry Christmas <3

What have you tried? You may want to use the following identities

\(\displaystyle \cos(A)\cos(B) = \dfrac{\cos(A-B) + \cos(A+B)}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(A)\sin(B) = \dfrac{\cos(A-B) - \cos(A+B)}{2}\)

Nailed it.Would it be presumptuous to ask for help on another?

Dundee3 said:
Nailed it.Would it be presumptuous to ask for help on another?

You are free to ask for help on other questions, we just ask that you begin a new thread for each new question, and to show what you have tried in each case. This way our helpers have a better understanding of where you need help exactly and can give more specific suggestions.

Superb. I'll create the new thread shortly, and I will be happy to post the solution for the last problem that involves my work. For future posts, I was wondering if there was a certain trick to activate the 'Latex' text-formatting so that I may enter more legible characters into my posts? I've tried in the past, but I've failed every time and just resorted to using standard ASCII characters.

I'll attempt to post the solution to the previous problem here as an example:

\sin\left({5}\right)\sin\left({8}\right)\cos\left({5}\right)\cos\left({8}\right)=

1/2[cos(5\theta-8\theta)-cos(5\theta+8\theta)]1/2[cos(5\theta-8\theta)+cos(5\theta + 8\theta)]

1/4[cos3\theta - cos13\theta][cos3\theta + cos13\theta]

1/4[cos^23\theta - cos^2 13\theta]

Dundee3 said:
Superb. I'll create the new thread shortly, and I will be happy to post the solution for the last problem that involves my work. For future posts, I was wondering if there was a certain trick to activate the 'Latex' text-formatting so that I may enter more legible characters into my posts? I've tried in the past, but I've failed every time and just resorted to using standard ASCII characters.

I'll attempt to post the solution to the previous problem here as an example:

\sin\left({5}\right)\sin\left({8}\right)\cos\left({5}\right)\cos\left({8}\right)=

1/2[cos(5\theta-8\theta)-cos(5\theta+8\theta)]1/2[cos(5\theta-8\theta)+cos(5\theta + 8\theta)]

1/4[cos3\theta - cos13\theta][cos3\theta + cos13\theta]

1/4[cos^23\theta - cos^2 13\theta]

What you need to do is enclose your $\LaTeX$ code within tags...I recommend using our MATH tags, which you can easily generate by clicking the $\sum$ button on our toolbar. Click this button, and the opening and closing tags are generated, with the cursor then conveniently located between them ready for you to enter your code. You may also first enter your code, then select it, and then click the button on the toolbar, and your selected text will be wrapped with the tags.

For example the code:

[MATH]\sin^2(\theta)+\cos^2(\theta)=1[/MATH]

produces:

\(\displaystyle \sin^2(\theta)+\cos^2(\theta)=1\)

\(\displaystyle \sin5\theta\sin8\theta\cos5\theta\cos8\theta=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}[\cos(5\theta - 8\theta) - \cos(5\theta+8\theta]1/2[cos(5\theta-8\theta)+cos(5\theta + 8\theta)]\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}[\cos3\theta - \cos13\theta][\cos3\theta + \cos13\theta]\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}[\cos^2(3\theta) - \cos^2(13\theta)]\)

That's my solution =)

Thank you so much man =)

Last edited:
To write fractions in a vertical format, use the code:

\frac{numerator}{denominator}

For example, the code:

[MATH]\frac{x}{y}[/MATH]

Generates:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{y}\)

I would encourage you to look at our Quick $\LaTeX$ element on our posting pages to generate the codes you may need for various mathematical forms. Pretty much anything you will need can be found there. Clicking the symbols on that element will generate the code you need at your current cursor location. :D

Edited! We've spent some time together today, Mate. Have a good one! I actually have an exam later, so this will really help. You're a life-saver.

If you haven't thought of it already, clicking on "Reply With Quote" and examining the code there is a handy way of investigating LaTeX code that you are curious about. :)

What is "Possible Miscalculation on Identity-Completion"?

"Possible Miscalculation on Identity-Completion" refers to the potential error or discrepancy in accurately determining the identity of an individual or object. It may occur in various situations such as data collection, identification processes, or record-keeping.

What are the possible causes of miscalculation on identity-completion?

The possible causes of miscalculation on identity-completion can vary depending on the specific situation. Some common causes include human error, outdated or incorrect information, insufficient data, technical issues, or intentional fraud.

How can miscalculation on identity-completion be prevented?

To prevent miscalculation on identity-completion, it is important to have proper protocols and procedures in place for data collection, verification, and storage. Regular checks and updates of information can also help to minimize errors. Additionally, using advanced technology and tools, such as biometrics or data encryption, can improve accuracy and security.

What are the potential consequences of miscalculation on identity-completion?

The consequences of miscalculation on identity-completion can range from minor inconveniences to serious legal or financial implications. It can lead to incorrect identification, fraud, loss of personal information, or damage to an individual's reputation. In some cases, it may also result in delays or denials of important services or benefits.

What steps should be taken if a miscalculation on identity-completion is suspected?

If a miscalculation on identity-completion is suspected, it is important to investigate the issue thoroughly and promptly. This may involve reviewing data, consulting with experts, or conducting audits. If an error is found, appropriate measures, such as correcting records or notifying affected individuals, should be taken to rectify the situation.