Reasons for miscalculation of spring work and change in ke

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with understanding why their calculated value for the distance a projectile would shoot up when a spring is compressed is different from the experimental value. They mention calculating the spring constant and the final velocity of the projectile, but not taking into account factors such as friction and weight of the spring. They also ask about the effect of cutting the spring on its stiffness and force exerted. The person responding suggests that the idealized conditions of Hooke's law may have been broken by compressing the spring too far, and asks for more details about the setup and calculation method.
uknew
can anyone help me in figuring out why i got different answers in my calculated value to my experiment value (or maybe its normal) when i calculated the aproximate distance a projectile would shoot up when i compressed a spring thru a distance. i calculated the spring constant and found the final velocity of the projectile once in projectile motion(which would make it its initial as a projectile).i checked the distance it traveled vertcally.compred it to my calculated one and they were very different. can anyone help explain why?friction, weight of the spring were not considered.thank

Physics news on Phys.org
also how does cutting the spring change the stiffness or av. forfce exerted. ?will it go higher or the same?any help is good

Hooke's law is under idealized conditions that you probably broke by compressing the spring as far as possible - at least this is a typical thing to do when shooting things up with springs. A full description of the setup and how you extracted the spring constant would allow us to better spot the problem

oh ok thanks

you

There could be several reasons for the miscalculation of spring work and change in kinetic energy in your experiment. One possible reason could be errors in measurement or data entry. It is important to ensure that all measurements are accurate and correctly recorded to avoid any discrepancies in the results.

Another reason could be the presence of external factors that were not accounted for in the calculations. For example, air resistance or friction could have affected the motion of the projectile, causing it to travel a shorter distance than expected. The weight of the spring could also play a role in the accuracy of the calculations, as it could affect the amount of force applied to the projectile.

Additionally, it is important to consider the limitations of the equipment used in the experiment. If the spring is not perfectly linear or there are other factors that could affect its elasticity, it could lead to variations in the results.

To improve the accuracy of your calculations, it is important to carefully consider all possible factors and sources of error and take steps to minimize their impact on the results. This could include using more precise measuring tools, accounting for external factors, and ensuring the equipment is in optimal condition. It is also helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times to gather more data and reduce the influence of random errors.

1. What is the reason for miscalculation of spring work?

The most common reason for miscalculation of spring work is due to incorrect input data or assumptions made during the calculation process. This can include errors in measurement, misinterpretation of data, or overlooking important factors that affect the spring's behavior.

2. How does temperature affect the accuracy of spring work calculation?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the accuracy of spring work calculation. Changes in temperature can cause variations in the material properties of the spring, such as stiffness and yield strength, which can result in miscalculations if not properly accounted for.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating spring work?

Some common mistakes to avoid when calculating spring work include using incorrect formulas, neglecting important factors such as friction and wear, and failing to consider the effects of temperature and fatigue on the spring's behavior. It is important to carefully review all input data and assumptions to ensure accurate calculations.

4. How does the change in ke affect the overall spring work?

The change in ke, or the spring constant, directly affects the amount of work a spring can perform. A higher ke value means the spring will require more force to be compressed or stretched, resulting in a greater work output. Therefore, any miscalculation in the ke value can significantly impact the accuracy of the spring work calculation.

5. What are some techniques for minimizing miscalculation of spring work?

To minimize miscalculation of spring work, it is important to carefully review all input data and assumptions, use accurate and up-to-date formulas, consider all relevant factors such as temperature and fatigue, and perform multiple calculations using different methods to verify the results. It is also helpful to seek input from other experts in the field or utilize computer simulations to validate the calculations.