Combination Question with Identical Pieces

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, the number of handfuls that will contain exactly 3 red bricks is 4, the number of handfuls that will contain exactly 2 of each color is 1, the number of handfuls that will be all the same color is 2, and the number of handfuls that will contain at least one red brick is 29.
member 428835

Homework Statement

You have 4 red, 7 blue, and 12 white bricks and grab a random handful of 6 bricks.
a) How many handfuls will contain exactly 3 red bricks?

b) How many handfuls will contain exactly 2 of each color?

c) How many handfuls will be all the same color?

d) How many handfuls will contain at least one red brick?

Homework Equations

Nothing comes to mind

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume bricks of the same color are identical.
a) {b b b}, {b b r,} {b r r},{ r r r} so I think there are 4 ways to get a hand of 3 red bricks. Is there a formula I should use?

b) Only one way to do this.

c) Only two ways to do this since there is not enough red.

d) I think at least one red is equal to the total number of handfuls minus handfuls of no reds. No reds implies only blue and white only. Can anyone help me on the setup here? I'm guessing a similar approach to the method in a), but perhaps there's a way to extrapolate this idea into an equation (combinations maybe)?

Could you tell me if you agree with a), b), and c)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure how to interpret "how many handfuls". I would think it is meant in a probabilistic sense, as in, in a very large number of trials how many? So I would treat all the bricks as fundamentally distinct.
If I had written the question in terms of handfuls (unlikely) and intended the approach you have used, I would have asked for "different-looking handfuls", or somesuch.

So then the answer to a) would be ##4C3 \cdot 19C3##? If so I think I can redo all of them no problem.

So would we have
a) ##4C3\cdot19C3##
b) ##4C2\cdot7C2\cdot12C2##
c) ##7C6+12C6##
d)##23C6-19C6##

joshmccraney said:
So would we have
a) ##4C3\cdot19C3##
b) ##4C2\cdot7C2\cdot12C2##
c) ##7C6+12C6##
d)##23C6-19C6##
Those all look right to me.

Cool, I thought so but wasn't sure if the blocks were identical how I'd do part d.

joshmccraney said:
Cool, I thought so but wasn't sure if the blocks were identical how I'd do part d.
If you were just counting the different patterns, the method of subtracting the count with no red bricks from the unrestricted count does not help because you also have the restriction that there are no more than four red bricks. So you might as well do it is a nested sum. It is analogous to a double integral. Sum over number r of red bricks, 1 to 4, {sum over number of blue bricks (what bounds?), etc.}

Edit: added braces to nested sum for clarity.

haruspex said:
sum over number of blue bricks (what bounds?), etc.
0 to 6?

joshmccraney said:
0 to 6?
You have already chosen r bricks to be red.

Likes member 428835
haruspex said:
You have already chosen r bricks to be red.
Didn't see this, thanks. So ##b \in [0,6-r]## and ##w \in [0,6-r-b]## where my notation is a little lax.

joshmccraney said:
Didn't see this, thanks. So ##b \in [0,6-r]## and ##w \in [0,6-r-b]## where my notation is a little lax.
Yes.

Awesome, thanks. So the answer is 36-7 = 29? Doesn't feel right.

joshmccraney said:
Awesome, thanks. So the answer is 36-7 = 29? Doesn't feel right.
How do you get that from the nested sum?

Nevermind, I made a dumb mistake. Thanks for your help.

joshmccraney said:
Nevermind, I made a dumb mistake. Thanks for your help.
You're welcome.

1. What is a combination question with identical pieces?

A combination question with identical pieces is a type of mathematical problem in which a certain number of objects, all of which are identical, are arranged in different ways. The goal is to determine how many unique combinations can be made with these objects.

2. How do you solve a combination question with identical pieces?

To solve a combination question with identical pieces, you can use the formula n!/r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being chosen for each combination. This formula is known as the combination formula.

3. Can identical pieces be arranged in any order in a combination question?

Yes, identical pieces can be arranged in any order in a combination question. This means that the order in which the objects are arranged does not matter, as long as the same objects are present in each combination.

4. What is the difference between a combination question and a permutation question?

The main difference between a combination question and a permutation question is that in a combination question, the order of the objects does not matter, whereas in a permutation question, the order does matter. This means that the same objects arranged in a different order would be considered a different combination in a permutation question, but not in a combination question.

5. How are combination questions with identical pieces used in real life?

Combination questions with identical pieces are used in various fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. They can be used to solve problems related to probability, combinations of items, and coding. For example, in computer science, combination questions are used to determine the number of possible combinations for a password or encryption key.