Post-lab tension problem: verify answers to Q1 and Q2, stuck on Q3

  • Thread starter Thread starter Habibrobert
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lab Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Habibrobert
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am stuck on this post lab question. I have tried to answer questions 1 and 2 but I am unsure of my answers, could someone verify them to make sure I did this correctly? Also, I have no idea how to do number 3! I included screen shots of the problem.

Thanks very much.
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-07 at 1.51.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-07 at 1.51.58 PM.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 566
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-07 at 1.52.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-07 at 1.52.07 PM.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
1. I agree with your answer - the tension are identical, so one cannot distinquish between the two.
2. When some of B's mass is transferred to A the tensions between the two carts will decrease, so I agree with you again - the pull is less in 2.
3. The tension in all the strings, or all of the tensions, are the same throughout the system when held still. Form this you can calculate the mass of the hanger.