Postdoc positions in the states - general experience

In summary: They are also expected to be independent and so there is not a lot of hand holding.In summary, the workload for postdoc positions in the US can vary greatly depending on discipline, institution, and advisor. However, there have been reports of postdocs being overworked and underpaid, leading some to seek alternative career paths. It is important to evaluate each position individually, as the expectations and work-life balance may differ. Generally, postdocs are expected to work independently and produce publishable results within a short-term contract.
modaniel
Hi,
I was wondering if people could share with me their experiences of the workload associated with postdoc positions in the states. I am thinking of applying for some positions but i am put off by what i have previously heard - that as a postdoc you can end up doing the majority of the work in your research group, working very long hours and often on weekends and therefore you essentially have no life. Is this generally true or have i got it wrong?
let me know your thoughts,
cheers,
Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can reasonably expect a consensus answer to this question, as working conditions will vary by discipline, institution and advisor.

From my anecdotal experience from a material science program at a top10 research university, foreign post-docs supported on advisor grants were routinely exploited and worked very long hours, nights and weekends, on a regular basis, for quite poor wage and benefits. When I graduated, I was personally unwilling to become a post-doc at an academic institution given the prevalence of these conditions and resolved to either win a postdoctoral fellowship, obtain an entry level industry position, or leave the field for brighter prospects. However, I stress that this is purely anecdotal and this may not be the case in places beyond my experience.

When I was a post-doc (although it was in Canada) it was actually the most 9-5ish job I've ever had.

You have to evaluate positions individually though as there will be a whole spectrum. In general, post-docs do a lot of work because they are essentially short-term (~ 2-3 years) contract workers who expect to produce publishable results over the term of the contract.

What is a postdoctoral position?

A postdoctoral position is a temporary academic research position that is typically taken by individuals who have recently obtained their doctoral degree. It allows them to gain further training and experience in their field of study before pursuing a permanent academic or research position.

What is the duration of a postdoctoral position?

The duration of a postdoctoral position can vary depending on the specific position and field of study. Generally, it can range from 1-3 years, with the average being 2 years. Some positions may also offer the opportunity for renewal or extension.

What are the benefits of a postdoctoral position in the United States?

Postdoctoral positions in the United States offer several benefits, including the opportunity to work with renowned researchers and access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources. They also provide valuable networking opportunities and can enhance one's CV and career prospects.

What qualifications do I need for a postdoctoral position in the United States?

To be considered for a postdoctoral position in the United States, you typically need to have a PhD in a relevant field, relevant research experience, and a strong publication record. Some positions may also require specific skills or expertise, so it is important to carefully review the job requirements.

How do I find and apply for postdoctoral positions in the United States?

There are several ways to find and apply for postdoctoral positions in the United States. You can search for openings on job websites, university and research institute websites, and through networking with colleagues and professors. Once you find a position that interests you, you will need to submit a CV, cover letter, and other required application materials as specified by the employer.