Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Postion v time, Velocity v T and Acceleration v T Math Model Variable Help

1. Oct 27, 2010 #1
    1. I have three equations that were generated by logger pro when I inputted all my gathered data for an acceleration project and I need to state what physical quantity each variable represents. I have gotten most of them. Im mainly concerned about the variables A B and C on the math models. Any info would be great

1)Position vs Time Math Model:
    • Position vs Time: y=Ax^2+Bx+C
    • y=position, A=velocity, x=time, b=starting position, c=_________________
    2) Velocity vs Time Math Model:
    • y=mx+b.
    • y=velocity, m=acceleration, x=time, b=starting position.
    3) Acceleration vs Time Math Model:
    • y=A*exp(-Cx)+B
    • y= acceleration, A=Jerk (acceleration/time) x=time, b=starting position and
    c=__________________

Thanks
    EHS Physics
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2010 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.
    I would compare the equation with the kinematic equation that gives position as a function of time. You're correct about x and y, but A and B are wrong.

Not entirely correct. This one needs to be compared with the equation that gives velocity vs. time.
    I'm not familiar with what equation this is to be compared to, but something is definitely wrong. If y is an acceleration, then B would have to have the same units as acceleration. So B cannot be the starting position. Can you find the appropriate acceleration-vs-time equation in your class notes or textbook, and list it here?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook