1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential anywhere inside a cube

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    All six faces of a cube, of side length ##L##, are maintained at constant, but different potentials. The left and right faces are at ##V_1## each. The top and bottom are at ##V_2## each. The front and back are at ##V_3##. Determine the electrostatic potential ##\Phi(x,y,z)## at any point inside the cube. What is the value of the electrostatic potential at the center of the cube?

2. Relevant equations
    Solutions are of the form:

##X(x) = A \sin{k_1 x} + B\cos{k_1 x}##
    ##Y(y) = C\sin{k_2 y} + D\cos{k_2 y}##
    ##Z(z) = E\sinh{k_3 z} + F\cosh{k_3 z}##
    where ##k_3 = \sqrt{k_1 + k_2}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Normally, the case in which one or two sides are held at some potential, the symmetry is exploited to get ##k_i## and the prevailing constants. However, here, that does not seem to be possible here.

When: ##x =0, x= L##, ##\Phi = V_1##
    ##y =0, y= L##, ##\Phi = V_2##
    ##z =0, z= L##, ##\Phi = V_3##

However, I do not see how this get me any closer to finding, any of the constants ##A,B,C,D,E,F##. ##\Phi = X(x)Y(y)Z(z)##.
    Thus for the first B.C.:

##\Phi(0,y,z) = (A\sin{0} + B\cos{0})(C\sin{k_2 y} + D \cos{k_2 y})(E\sinh{k_3 z} + F\cosh{k_3 z})##
    ##= B (C\sin{k_2 y} + D \cos{k_2 y})(E\sinh{k_3 z} + F\cosh{k_3 z}) = V_1##

and so do I just keep doing this and will eventually, get my coefficients? Regardless, I don't necessarily see how ##k_i## would be found.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem is a linear PDE. You can solve for one inhomogeneity at a time and make a superposition of the solutions to find the full solution.

4. Mar 5, 2015 #3
    Okay, I take when ##x=0\implies## ##V_1##:
    ##A\sin{k_x 0} + B\cos{k_x 0} = V_1 \implies B = V_1## and I could keep going on like that for each of the six boundary conditions
    But I am still not seeing how that would work. Plus I don't see how I could get the ##k##'s from this.

5. Mar 6, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. You need to split the entire problem into several parts, then solve each part separately, including the now homogeneous boundary conditions on the sides.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted