1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential difference across each capacitor

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many 1 microF capacitors connected in parallel would it take to store a total charge of 1 mC if the potential difference across each capacitor is 10.0V?

2. Relevant equations
    C=Q/V
    in parallel --> Ceq=C1+C2+C3...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attemped this problem by first using the equation C=Q/V, using 1mC as my Q and 10V as my V. This gave me a total capacitance of 1*10^-4 F. I then divided this number by the capacitance of a single capacitor, 1*10^-6. This result showed that it would take 100 capacitors. I thought this answer seemed reasonable, but the next sentence in the problem tells me to diagram the parallel combination. I don't think they want me to draw out 100 capacitors in parallel. Can anyone double check my answer and tell me if it is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: capacitance

If you can write an equation like "Ceq=C1+C2+C3... skip a few +C100", what is your hesitancy in making a drawing like that?

Trust your math.

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi w3390! :smile:
    erm :redface:each capacitor! :wink:

5. Feb 15, 2009 #4

If I do trust my math, I will be drawing out 100 capacitors on parallel on my sheet of paper. Does this sound reasonable to you?

6. Feb 15, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Sounds tedious when an ellipsis will do.

7. Feb 15, 2009 #6

Does this mean that the potential difference across the entire combination will be 1000V by multiplying the number of capacitors by the drop across each one?

Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. Feb 15, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but it's not 1000V … call the number of capacitors n, and see how many times n comes into the equation. :wink:

9. Feb 15, 2009 #8

I'm getting 1x10^-5 F for total capacitance. So 10 of the 1microF capacitors in parallel. Assuming you meant "total charge of 1mC" to mean micro-Coulomb and not milli-Coulomb. Otherwise it's like 10,000 capacitors.:bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook