Potential difference between two plates

In summary, the problem involves two parallel plates with equal but opposite charges separated by 16cm. Each plate has a surface charge of 31 nc/m2. The task is to find the potential difference between the plates. The solution may involve finding the electric field of the plates by modeling them as infinite planes, but the asker is struggling to get the correct answer and is seeking assistance.
ktgee25
The problem says that there are two parallel plates having charges of equal magnitude but opposite signs and they are separated by 16cm. Each plate has a surface charge of 31 nc/m2(sorry don't know how to superscript). I need to find the potential difference between the plates.

I thought I needed to find the electric field of the plate but modelling it as an infinite plane and then find the potential but I can't seem to get the right answer. I was wondering if someone could help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you show your work so we can know where to start to help you?

I would first clarify that the problem is referring to the potential difference between the two plates, also known as the voltage difference. This is different from the electric field, which is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle at a given point.

To find the potential difference between the plates, we can use the formula V = Ed, where V is the voltage difference, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between the plates. In this case, we know that the plates have equal and opposite charges, so the electric field between them will be uniform and given by E = σ/ε0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

Plugging in the values given, we have E = (31 nc/m2)/(8.85 x 10^-12 C2/Nm2) = 3.50 x 10^9 N/C. Multiplying this by the distance between the plates (16 cm = 0.16 m), we get a potential difference of V = (3.50 x 10^9 N/C)(0.16 m) = 5.60 x 10^8 V.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes that the plates are infinitely large and that the electric field is constant between them. If the plates are not infinite, or if there are other factors at play, the calculation may be more complex and require additional information. It is always important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of any mathematical model in scientific analysis.

1. What is the definition of potential difference between two plates?

Potential difference between two plates, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in an electric field.

2. How is potential difference between two plates measured?

Potential difference between two plates is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel with the plates to measure the voltage difference between them.

3. What causes potential difference to exist between two plates?

The presence of an electric field between the two plates causes a potential difference to exist. The electric field is created by the difference in charge between the plates.

4. What is the unit of measurement for potential difference between two plates?

The unit of measurement for potential difference is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of electrons between two plates?

Potential difference is what causes electrons to flow from a higher potential to a lower potential. The greater the potential difference, the greater the force on the electrons and the faster they will flow.