Potential energy and Conservative Force

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential of a force vector using the equation U = -∫Fdx and clarifies the mathematical approach to solving it. The correct method is to start with -∂U/∂x = ax and continue with the partial derivatives of the resulting expressions until the final potential function is found. The conversation also touches on the common mistake of integrating a constant and the importance of checking the answer using the given differential equation.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have a force ##\vec{F} = a_x\vec{i}+2a_y\vec{j}+3a_z\vec{k}##. Find the potential

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Lets suppose
And we know that ##\vec {F} = ∇U##

In this case I said that

##U_x=-\int F_xdx##
##U_y=-\int F_ydy##
##U_z=-\int F_zdz##
and then I said

##U= U_x+U_y+U_z##

Is this mathematically true ?

Normally I should have ##U(x,y,z) = -\int F_xdx## I guess..For example in this case I should have something like
##U(x,y,z) = -a_x^2+U(y,z)##
then I can say
##U(x,y,z) = \int (-a_x^2+ 2a_y)dy## etc. Which one is correct ?

Likes Mileto Graziano
Physics news on Phys.org
Are ax etc. constants? If so, what are their integrals wrt x, y, z?
You can always check your answer using the differential equation you quoted.

haruspex said:
Are ax etc. constants? If so, what are their integrals wrt x, y, z?
You can always check your answer using the differential equation you quoted.
##a## are constant. I find the answer its easy to find. I was asking about the mathematical part of it.Are both approaches are true ?

Arman777 said:
Normally I should have ##U(x,y,z) = -\int F_xdx## I guess..For example in this case I should have something like
##U(x,y,z) = -a_x^2+U(y,z)##
then I can say
##U(x,y,z) = \int (-a_x^2+ 2a_y)dy## etc. Which one is correct ?

You should never integrate a constant ##a_x## and get ##\frac12 a_x^2##. That's a common mistake.

Instead, you have:

##\vec{F} = (a_x, 2a_y, 3a_z) = - \vec{\nabla}U(x, y, z) = -(\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial U}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial U}{\partial z}) ##

If we start with ##-\frac{\partial U}{\partial x} = a_x##, then this gives:

##U(x, y, z) = -a_xx + f(y, z)##

Now we have:

##\frac{\partial U}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = -2a_y##

Which leads to ##f(y, z) = -2a_yy + g(z)##

And, finally we have:

##\frac{\partial U}{\partial z} = \frac{dg}{dz} = -3a_z##

Which gives ##g(z) = -3a_zz + C##

Your first method is just a shortcut for this.

PeroK said:
You should never integrate a constant ##a_x## and get ##\frac12 a_x^2##. That's a common mistake.

Instead, you have:

##\vec{F} = (a_x, 2a_y, 3a_z) = - \vec{\nabla}U(x, y, z) = -(\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial U}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial U}{\partial z}) ##

If we start with ##-\frac{\partial U}{\partial x} = a_x##, then this gives:

##U(x, y, z) = -a_xx + f(y, z)##

Now we have:

##\frac{\partial U}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = -2a_y##

Which leads to ##f(y, z) = -2a_yy + g(z)##

And, finally we have:

##\frac{\partial U}{\partial z} = \frac{dg}{dz} = -3a_z##

Which gives ##g(z) = -3a_zz + C##

Your first method is just a shortcut for this.
Yes sorry. Its a stupid mistake that I made...I see your point, thanks for clarifying it.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a force field or system. It is the stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy.

How is potential energy related to conservative force?

Potential energy is related to conservative force because conservative forces are those that can be described by a potential energy function. This means that the work done by a conservative force on an object only depends on the initial and final positions of the object and not on the path taken. This allows for the conservation of mechanical energy.

What are some examples of conservative forces?

Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, elastic forces, and electrostatic forces. These forces have corresponding potential energy functions that can be used to calculate the potential energy of an object in a given position.

How is potential energy calculated?

The calculation of potential energy depends on the type of force acting on the object. For gravitational forces, potential energy is calculated as mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the reference point. For other types of forces, the potential energy is calculated using the corresponding potential energy function.

Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This can happen when the reference point for calculating potential energy is chosen arbitrarily. In this case, the potential energy at a certain position may be negative if the object has less energy at that position compared to the chosen reference point.