Show that the given electric field is a plane wave

In summary, the conversation is discussing the definition of a wavefront as a surface where the argument of the cosine has a constant value. The speaker rearranges the equation to be in the form of a scalar equation of a plane, which leads to the conclusion that the equation represents a plane wave. The conversation also addresses a small error in the rearrangement and the fact that the plane translates due to the dependence of ##\hat{u} \cdot r## on ##t##.
Blanchdog
Homework Statement
Show that each wavefront of the electric field forms a plane
Relevant Equations
## E(r, t) = E_0 \text{cos}(k(\hat{u} \cdot r - c t) + \phi)##
A wavefront is defined as a surface in space where the argument of the cosine has a constant value. So I set the argument of the cosine to an arbitrary constant s.

## k(\hat{u} \cdot r - c t) + \phi = s ##

The positional information is is in r, so I rearrange the equation to be

## \hat{u} \cdot r = \frac s k + ct + \phi = \text{const}##
## u_x x + u_y y + u_z z = \text{const} ##

And that's where I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a small error in the rearrangement, but once corrected the last line is almost right; that's the general equation of a plane of normal ##\hat{n}##, but ##\hat{u} \cdot r## depends on ##t## so isn't constant in time (that's why the plane translates).

ergospherical said:
You made a small error in the rearrangement, but once corrected the last line is almost right; that's the general equation of a plane of normal ##\hat{n}##, but ##\hat{u} \cdot r## depends on ##t## so isn't constant in time (that's why the plane translates).
Whoops you're right, I wasn't very careful with my minus signs since I knew it was all going to be wrapped up into a constant anyway.

It looks like my equation is in the form of the scalar equation of a plane... is it really that simple? I have the equation of a plane so it is a plane wave?

Likes DaveE and ergospherical
Blanchdog said:
It looks like my equation is in the form of the scalar equation of a plane... is it really that simple? I have the equation of a plane so it is a plane wave?
Yeah, pretty much 😄

1. What is a plane wave in terms of electric fields?

A plane wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a constant electric field that is parallel to a fixed direction, known as the wave's direction of propagation. This means that the electric field does not vary with position or time, and is represented by a flat, planar wavefront.

2. How is a plane wave different from other types of electric fields?

A plane wave is different from other types of electric fields, such as spherical or cylindrical waves, because it has a constant electric field that does not vary with position or time. This makes it a simpler and more idealized form of an electric field, which is often used in theoretical models and calculations.

3. How can you mathematically represent a plane wave electric field?

A plane wave electric field can be represented by the equation E = E0cos(kz - ωt), where E0 is the amplitude of the electric field, k is the wave number, z is the direction of propagation, and ω is the angular frequency. This equation shows the sinusoidal nature of a plane wave, with the electric field varying as a function of both position and time.

4. What are some real-world examples of plane wave electric fields?

Plane wave electric fields can be found in many real-world situations, such as radio waves, microwaves, and light waves. These waves travel in a straight line and have a constant electric field that does not vary with position or time, making them good examples of plane waves. They are also used in technologies such as radar, satellite communications, and wireless internet.

5. How can you experimentally show that a given electric field is a plane wave?

One way to experimentally show that a given electric field is a plane wave is to measure the electric field at different positions along the direction of propagation. If the electric field remains constant, then it is likely a plane wave. Another method is to use polarizers, which can manipulate the direction of the electric field, and observe how the intensity of the wave changes. A plane wave will have a constant intensity, regardless of the orientation of the polarizer.