Potential Energy & Conservative Forces #21

In summary, the problem involves a 1.24 kg block being held at rest against a spring with a force constant of 700 N/m. The spring is initially compressed a distance d and when the block is released, it slides across a frictionless surface except for a section of width x = 4.85 cm that has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.357. The goal is to calculate the value of d such that the block's speed after crossing the rough patch is 2.23 m/s. After some calculations using the energy equation 1/2kd^2 - u_k(mgx) = 1/2mv_f^2 +mg(0), the correct answer is found to be d=
UCrazyBeautifulU
In the figure below a 1.24 kg block is held at rest against a spring with a force constant k = 700 N/m.

Initially, the spring is compressed a distance d. When the block is released it slides across a surface that is frictionless, except for a section of width x = 4.85 cm that has a coefficient of kinetic friction μk = 0.357. Calculate d such that the block's speed after crossing the rough patch is 2.23 m/s.

Sorry I can't post the picture. This was how I was figuring out the problem, but that isn't working.

k ( L_1 + x)^2 - coefficient sign (u_k)mgx = 1/2mv_f^2 + mg(0)

since d= L_1 + x and F= kd

substitute values to get L_1 and then find d

That is how i was doing it but I can't figure it out. Is there a more simple explanation or way to figure out this problem? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's "L_1 + x" supposed to be?

The spring is compressed a distance "d": What's the energy stored in it?

Except for the spring energy term, your energy equation should work fine.

I get 0.0641 m when i figure it out my way and that answer is incorrect. Maybe I am doing some math wrong, but I double checked? What answer do you get if you use my above equation?

Are you sure it is the right equation to use?

First correct the spring energy term. It should be: 1/2 k d^2.

1/2kd^2 - u_k(mgx) = 1/2mv_f^2 +mg(0)

Solve for d

I got d= 0.090595

incorrect answer

can anyone else help me with this one?

UCrazyBeautifulU said:
I got d= 0.090595
That's not the answer I get. Check your arithmetic. (Did you use the proper units for distance?)

yeah, my math was off. Thanks, i figured it out.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is often referred to as stored energy, as it has the potential to be converted into other forms of energy.

What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a book sitting on a shelf, and a roller coaster at the top of a hill. In each of these cases, the object has the potential to release energy and perform work.

How is potential energy related to conservative forces?

Conservative forces are those that do not dissipate energy as an object moves through its path. These forces, such as gravity and elastic forces, are responsible for creating potential energy. As an object moves through the conservative force, its potential energy changes, but the total energy of the system remains constant.

What is the equation for potential energy?

The equation for potential energy depends on the type of potential energy being considered. For gravitational potential energy, the equation is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. For elastic potential energy, the equation is PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that an object can possess. While potential energy is associated with an object's position or condition, kinetic energy is associated with an object's motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa, and the total energy of a system remains constant.