1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Energy & Conservative Forces #21

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    In the figure below a 1.24 kg block is held at rest against a spring with a force constant k = 700 N/m.

Initially, the spring is compressed a distance d. When the block is released it slides across a surface that is frictionless, except for a section of width x = 4.85 cm that has a coefficient of kinetic friction μk = 0.357. Calculate d such that the block's speed after crossing the rough patch is 2.23 m/s.

Sorry I can't post the picture. This was how I was figuring out the problem, but that isn't working.

k ( L_1 + x)^2 - coefficient sign (u_k)mgx = 1/2mv_f^2 + mg(0)

since d= L_1 + x and F= kd

substitute values to get L_1 and then find d

That is how i was doing it but I can't figure it out. Is there a more simple explanation or way to figure out this problem? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's "L_1 + x" supposed to be?

The spring is compressed a distance "d": What's the energy stored in it?

Except for the spring energy term, your energy equation should work fine.

4. Sep 30, 2006 #3
    I get 0.0641 m when i figure it out my way and that answer is incorrect. Maybe I am doing some math wrong, but I double checked? What answer do you get if you use my above equation?

Are you sure it is the right equation to use?

5. Sep 30, 2006 #4

Doc Al

First correct the spring energy term. It should be: 1/2 k d^2.

6. Sep 30, 2006 #5
    1/2kd^2 - u_k(mgx) = 1/2mv_f^2 +mg(0)

Solve for d

I got d= 0.090595

incorrect answer

can anyone else help me with this one?

7. Sep 30, 2006 #6

Doc Al

That's not the answer I get. Check your arithmetic. (Did you use the proper units for distance?)

8. Sep 30, 2006 #7
    yeah, my math was off. Thanks, i figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?