Potential energy graph x-component

U In summary, The x-component of the force on the particle at x=5, 15, 25, and 35 cm can be found using the formula |F| = - dU/dx, where F is the force, U is the potential, and x is the position. The direction of the force is along the x-axis. In three dimensions, the relation is F = - grad U. To find the x-component of the force, we need to find the slope of the tangents at each given x-coordinate. The answer will be positive or negative depending on whether the potential is decreasing or increasing at that point.
psingh
What is the x-component of the force on the particle at x=5, 15, 25, and 35 cm

i thought it was just the slope?!? but I am wrong ,some help?

x=15 i know F=0

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,104
Physics news on Phys.org
psingh said:
What is the x-component of the force on the particle at x=5, 15, 25, and 35 cm

i thought it was just the slope?!? but I am wrong ,some help?

x=15 i know F=0

so close!

there's a formula that should be in your text:

|F| = - dU/dx. (direction is along the x-axis.)

(if, like in this problem, we are only concerned with one dimension.)

in three dimensions, F = - grad U

oye you're right neg. slope =] thankss

In differential form , the relation is fiven by

[itex]F = \frac{-dU}{dR}[/itex]

Just find the slope of the tangents at each of the given x-coordinates . The answer will be positive or negative depending on whether Potential is decreasing or increasing at that point.

BJ

Last edited:

1. What is a potential energy graph x-component?

A potential energy graph x-component is a visual representation of the relationship between potential energy and position along the x-axis. It shows how potential energy changes as an object moves along the x-axis.

2. How is potential energy calculated from the x-component graph?

Potential energy can be calculated from the x-component graph using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or displacement along the x-axis.

3. What does the slope of a potential energy x-component graph represent?

The slope of a potential energy x-component graph represents the force acting on an object. This is because force is equal to the negative of the derivative of potential energy with respect to position.

4. How does the shape of a potential energy x-component graph change for different types of systems?

The shape of a potential energy x-component graph can vary for different types of systems. For example, a simple harmonic oscillator will have a parabolic shape, while a gravitational system will have a hyperbolic shape. The exact shape depends on the type of potential energy function and the forces involved in the system.

5. What factors can affect the potential energy x-component graph?

The potential energy x-component graph can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the height or displacement along the x-axis, and the type of potential energy function. External factors such as friction, air resistance, and other forces can also impact the graph.