1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy of a system (gravity)

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1

jjr

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the potential energy of a system which consists of four equal particles, each with mass M, that are placed in different corners of a square with sides of length d, is given by
    ep = - [itex]\frac{G M^2}{d}[/itex]*(4 + √(2))

2. Relevant equations

The gravitational force F(r) = - [itex]\frac{G M m}{r^2}[/itex] * ur
    Potential gravitational energy Ep(r) = - [itex]\frac{G M m}{r}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having a hard time achieveing an intuitive comprehension of how one might solve this problem. As far as I can understand, they're asking how much work would be done if all the particles moved in to the center? I'm not sure if I should figure out the work it would take to bring each individual particle in to the center one at a time, all at once, or if I need to approach this in some other way.. Any hints would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,
    J

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The gravitational potential is zero at infinity. You need to calculate the work needed to take the system apart, to move the particles one by one to infinity. The negative of that work is equal to the potential energy of the system.

ehild

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3

jjr

Of course! Thanks:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook