1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Energy of Masses on a Pivot

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1
    A straight rod of negligable mass is mounted on a frictionless pivot (see attached diagram)Blocks having masses [tex]m_1,m_2[/tex] are attched to the rod at distances [tex]l_1,l_2[/tex]. (a) Write an expression for teh gravitational potential energy of the blocks-Earth system as a function of the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] made with the horizontal. (b) Find the angle of minimum potential energy. (c) Show that if [tex]m_2l_2=m_1l_2[/tex] then the system is in equilibrium regardless of the angle [tex]\theta[/tex]

I find that the potential energy function is:

[tex]u(\theta)=(m_2l_2-m_1l_1)g_E\sin(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{du}{d\theta}=(m_2l_2-m_1l_1)g_E\cos(\theta)[/tex]

Setting the derivative equal to zero gives [tex]m_2l_2=m1_l_1[/tex].

This seems to address part c. Setting this equal to zero doesn't give an angle (part b). How do I solve part (b)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2
    I almost forgot the diagram. Attached.

Attached Files:

4. Aug 23, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Use your intuition. If you hold a rod by the middle and attach a mass on one side, at what angle does the rod come to rest?

5. Aug 23, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And what happens to your potential energy if this condition is satisfied?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook