Pivoted beam with force at one end and spring attached to the other end

In summary: Thanks again!In summary, the homework statement is to come up with an equation for a beam with a known mass which is pivoted about a point. The other side of the beam is connected to the floor by a spring with a spring constant. The goal is to be able to find out the angular acceleration of the beam.
snoopios

Homework Statement

I've been set the task to come up with a solution/equation for a beam with a known mass (M) which is acted upon by a force (F) which is pivoted about a point. The other side of the beam is connected to the floor by a spring with a spring constant (k). What I'm trying to do is work out the angular acceleration of the beam.

Homework Equations

[itex]\alpha=g \frac{m_1L_1-m_2L_2}{m_1L_1^2+m_2L_2^2}[/itex]

I have the equation above and know that m1 would techincally be my force (F). What I'm confused about is how to work out the angular acceleration of the beam which has a spring on the opposite side of the beam acting against the force (F) because surely, the spring basically mirrors the force (F) but in the opposite direction when it reaches a certain amount of extension and because of this, the masses are technically equal and therefore leads to the equation

[itex]\alpha=g \frac{L_1-L_2}{L_1^2+L_2^2}[/itex]

Since the opposing force technically changes with respect to angular displacement and spring extension, surely this means that m2 is constantly changing?

What my end goal is, is to be able to come up with or get a formula that I can use in Microsoft Excel to create a data sheet where I can manipulate each value such as (spring constant, mass of beam etc.) and also find out the angular acceleration from different applied forces as well as theta values which I can then plot a graph of theta against time. I'm confusing myself with the first equation trying to apply it to a spring to be able to work out the angular acceleration.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Diagram 1.jpg
    Diagram 1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 761
  • !cid_image003_jpg@01CCDFF4.jpg
    !cid_image003_jpg@01CCDFF4.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 777
Physics news on Phys.org
I've just realized (or actually thought about) that surely the spring force acting against the force acting on the beam is going to turn into some form of differential (i.e. spring force with respect to extension, or something like that, I'm not massively good at explaining things). So maybe something like ((Force * Distance to pivot)+(Mass of beam * Gravity * Centre of mass of beam to pivot length)) = ((Spring force / Extension (as some form of differential)). This is an entire guess but I think it makes sense. My attempt at some kind of solution is below;

[itex](F*L1)+(Mass of beam * 9.81 * 0.5 * L1) = \frac{\delta Spring Force}{\delta Spring length} * L2[/itex]

Like I said, this is a complete guess but I think I'm kind of on the right track seeing as if the input force is increased, the resistive force of the spring will increase and the length of the spring will increase proportionally to the forces.

Um, I've just attached my spreadsheet. Does anyone know how I can use the Torque = Polar Moment of Inertia * Angular Acceleration equation to somehow incorporate the effect of the opposing spring force?

Attachments

• Calculations.xls
    68 KB · Views: 257

1. What is a pivoted beam with force at one end and spring attached to the other end?

A pivoted beam with force at one end and spring attached to the other end is a physical system in which a beam is supported at one point and has a force applied at one end, while the other end is attached to a spring. This system is used to study the behavior of beams under different loads and to understand the principles of elasticity.

2. How does the force at one end affect the behavior of the pivoted beam?

The force applied at one end of the pivoted beam causes the beam to bend or deform, depending on the magnitude and direction of the force. This bending is resisted by the spring attached to the other end, which creates a restoring force that balances out the applied force. The amount of bending and the resulting displacement of the beam is determined by the stiffness of the spring and the magnitude of the applied force.

3. What is the role of the spring in a pivoted beam with force at one end?

The spring attached to the other end of the pivoted beam acts as a restoring force that opposes the applied force and helps to maintain the equilibrium of the system. The stiffness of the spring determines how much force it can exert to counteract the applied force, and thus affects the overall behavior of the pivoted beam.

4. How is the behavior of a pivoted beam with force at one end and spring attached to the other end analyzed?

The behavior of a pivoted beam with force at one end and spring attached to the other end can be analyzed using principles of mechanics and elasticity. This involves calculating the bending moments and deflections of the beam, as well as determining the equilibrium of forces acting on the system. Various mathematical models, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, can be used to analyze the behavior of the system.

5. What are the real-world applications of a pivoted beam with force at one end and spring attached to the other end?

Pivoted beams with force at one end and spring attached to the other end are commonly used in engineering and physics to study the behavior of structures under different loads. They are also used in the design and testing of various mechanical and structural systems, such as bridges, cranes, and buildings. Additionally, the principles of this system are applied in the development of devices such as shock absorbers and springs for suspension systems in vehicles.