Potential energy per unit length in a string (sin wave)

In summary: The expression for the amount the section has been stretched would be (Δx(1+y'2/2) - Δx). This represents the difference between the stretched length and the original length.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Given that the stretched length of a string is Δx(1+1/2(dy/dx)^2) show that the potential energy per unit length is equal to

1/2F(dy(x,t)/dx)^2

Homework Equations

potential energy = kx^2
cos(kx-wt)
idk really...

The Attempt at a Solution

The fact that the stretched length equals
Δx(1+1/2(dy/dx)^2)

can be derived from the fact that the strings stretched length is equal to (x^2+x(dy/dx)^2)^1/2
and then simplified with binomial expansion.

according to my answer key, the first step to the solution of solving potential energy per unit length is understanding that it is equal to
(FΔx(1+1/2(dy/dx)^2)-Δx) / Δx
The part about this step that I don't understand is why is the -Δx term in the numerator? Wouldn't the work per unit length just equal (Force * the amount it is stretched / Δx)? which would equal
FΔx(1+1/2(dy/dx)^2) / Δx.

yeah.. I don't understand why the -Δx is in the numerator i guess sums up my concerns.

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

The Attempt at a Solution

...the stretched length equals
Δx(1+1/2(dy/dx)^2)

according to my answer key, the first step to the solution of solving potential energy per unit length is understanding that it is equal to
(FΔx(1+1/2(dy/dx)^2)-Δx) / Δx

Should that be F(Δx(1+1/2(dy/dx)^2)-Δx) / Δx?

The part about this step that I don't understand is why is the -Δx term in the numerator? Wouldn't the work per unit length just equal (Force * the amount it is stretched / Δx)?

Yes, that's right. But "the amount it is stretched" is not the same as "the stretched length". For example, suppose I have a spring that has an unstretched length of 20 cm. (This is the length from one end of the spring to the other end when the spring is not stretched.) Then I stretch it until it has a "stretched length" of 30 cm. (This is the length from one end of the spring to the other when it is stretched.) The "amount it is stretched" would be 10 cm.

Yes, that's right. But "the amount it is stretched" is not the same as "the stretched length". For example, suppose I have a spring that has an unstretched length of 20 cm. (This is the length from one end of the spring to the other end when the spring is not stretched.) Then I stretch it until it has a "stretched length" of 30 cm. (This is the length from one end of the spring to the other when it is stretched.) The "amount it is stretched" would be 10 cm.

Cool, I'm still a little confused how that is represented in the equation by the term -Δx

Δx is the length of a section of string before it was stretched.

Δx(1+y'2/2) is the length of the same section after it has been stretched.

So, how would you write an expression for the amount the section has been stretched?

Likes 1 person

I would like to clarify that potential energy per unit length in a string is not equal to kx^2, as stated in the Homework Equations section. The potential energy in a string is actually given by the equation U = (1/2)k(x^2 + (dy/dx)^2), where k is the string's tension and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

Now, moving on to the given problem, the potential energy per unit length can be calculated by dividing the total potential energy (U) by the stretched length (Δx). So, the correct equation would be U/Δx = (1/2)k((x^2 + (dy/dx)^2)/Δx). This can be simplified to U/Δx = (1/2)k((Δx(1+1/2(dy/dx)^2))/Δx). Note that the Δx terms in the numerator and denominator cancel out, leaving us with (1/2)k(1+1/2(dy/dx)^2). This is the same as the given equation, 1/2F(dy(x,t)/dx)^2, where F is the force applied to the string.

To answer your question about the -Δx in the numerator, it is simply a way of expressing the stretched length (Δx) in terms of the original length of the string. This makes it easier to compare the potential energy per unit length of different strings with different original lengths. Without the -Δx term, the equation would only give us the potential energy per unit length for a string with a stretched length equal to its original length.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify your concerns. Remember, it is always important to use the correct equations and units when solving scientific problems.

1. What is potential energy per unit length in a string?

Potential energy per unit length in a string refers to the amount of energy that is stored in a string when it is stretched or deformed. This energy is stored in the form of elastic potential energy and is directly related to the tension in the string and its length.

2. How is potential energy per unit length calculated in a string?

The formula for calculating potential energy per unit length in a string is PE/L = ½ * k * x^2, where PE/L is the potential energy per unit length, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the string from its equilibrium position. This formula is based on Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy per unit length and amplitude in a string?

The potential energy per unit length in a string is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude of the string increases, so does the potential energy per unit length. This relationship is due to the fact that the amplitude of a string is directly related to its displacement from its equilibrium position, which affects the amount of potential energy stored in the string.

4. How does the frequency of a sine wave affect the potential energy per unit length in a string?

The frequency of a sine wave does not directly affect the potential energy per unit length in a string. However, it does affect the wavelength of the wave, which in turn affects the amplitude of the wave. As mentioned before, the amplitude of a string is directly related to the potential energy per unit length, so a change in frequency can indirectly affect the potential energy per unit length in a string.

5. How does the tension in a string affect the potential energy per unit length?

The tension in a string has a direct effect on the potential energy per unit length. As the tension increases, the potential energy per unit length also increases. This is because a higher tension means that the string is stretched further from its equilibrium position, resulting in a larger displacement and therefore a greater amount of potential energy stored in the string.