Find mass per unit length of a string graphically

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving frequency, tension, mass, and mode of vibration. The homework equations are mentioned and the attempt at a solution includes finding the mass per unit length (μ) using the equation v = sqrt(T/μ) and graphically. However, there is a discrepancy between the experimental and real values for linear density, causing a 23% error. The conversation then goes on to discuss the calculation of mass per unit length and the discrepancy in the values obtained.
jbumbes

Homework Statement

frequency, Tension, mass, mode of vibration

Homework Equations

v = sqrt(T/μ)

The Attempt at a Solution

length of string is 2.14m
weight .00247kg
mass per unit length (μ) .00089

However, I need to confirm this graphically. I solved for mass per unit length
μ = T/V^2
or sqrt(μ) = sqrt(T)/v
however, I have already graphed this and the slope is 33.5. With velocity on the y-axis and sqrt(T) on the x which seems way too off. Basically I have to find the experimental μ graphically.

Physics news on Phys.org
That gives an error of about 23% then - the difference between the experimental and real value for linear density?
You did take the wavelength to be the twice the distance between two adjacent nodes?
Is the string running straight from the top of the pulley to the other end where it is fixed or tied to the vibrator?

jbumbes said:
length of string is 2.14m
weight .00247kg
mass per unit length (μ) .00089
This in itself is strange. Can you explain how you calculated this ?

That is the experimentally determined value, which then gives a 23% difference between the two.

I mean that 2.47/2.14 is not 0.89 but 1.15 gram/meter

The 0.00089 value is from his gradient

1. How do I find the mass per unit length of a string graphically?

To find the mass per unit length of a string graphically, you will need a string, a ruler, and a known weight. First, measure the length of the string and record it. Then, attach the known weight to the end of the string and measure the length again. Finally, calculate the difference in length and divide it by the weight to find the mass per unit length.

2. What is the purpose of finding the mass per unit length of a string graphically?

The purpose of finding the mass per unit length of a string graphically is to calculate the linear density of the string. This can be useful in various scientific experiments and calculations, such as determining the tension in the string or predicting its behavior under different conditions.

3. Can I use any type of string for this experiment?

It is recommended to use a thin and uniform string for this experiment. This will ensure more accurate measurements and calculations. Thick or uneven strings may affect the results and make it difficult to determine the mass per unit length.

4. What are the units for mass per unit length?

The units for mass per unit length can vary, depending on the system of measurement being used. In the metric system, the units are typically grams per meter (g/m). In the imperial system, the units can be ounces per foot (oz/ft) or pounds per inch (lbs/in).

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting this experiment?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when conducting any scientific experiment. When using a known weight, make sure it is securely attached to the string to avoid it from falling and causing injury. Also, be careful when handling the string and ruler to prevent any accidents or injuries.