1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential for two semicircular rods

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two semicircular rods, one of radius R1 and the other of radius R2 where R2 > R1, are joined by two horizontal, straight rods. The rods carry a charge of lambda coulombs per meter. Calculate the potential at point p at the center of the two semicircles. (P would be the center of the two concentric circles if the rods were full circles)

This configuration looks like a rainbow basically and p is on the ground halfway between each side of the rainbow.

2. Relevant equations
    V= KQ/R
    V= E*s

3. The attempt at a solution

If I calculate V using the electric field, does the electric field between the two rods cancel so I would just have to use the electric field due to the inner rod? I know the electric fields of the two horizontal rods cancel.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2
    Anyone?

4. Feb 18, 2009 #3
    OK I suppose my real question is, is the electric field at point P

2k(lambda)*(1/R1 + 1/R2)

And then if that is so, to find the potential does the integral go from 0 to R1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook