1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential in a sphere in a dielectric

1. Feb 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid conducting sphere of radius R and carrying charge +q is embedded in an electrically neutral nonconducting spherical shell of inner radius R and outer radius 2 R . The material of which the shell is made has a dielectric constant of 3.0.

Relative to a potential of zero at infinity, what is the potential at the center of the conducting sphere?

2. Relevant equations

V = ∫Edr = kq/r + C

Gauss's law in dielectrics: ∫KEdA = q/ε0

3. The attempt at a solution

I've made a few assumptions.

The field in a conducting sphere is zero, which means the potential in a conducting sphere is constant. Looking at just the sphere alone, potential at the center relative to infinity should be kq/R (positive because I'm going against electric field?).

With the dielectric in place to still take zero at infinity I need to take into account the potential difference across the dielectric (I think?)

Edielectric = q/KAε0

V(R->2R) = -∫Edielectric*dr (negative because I'm going in direction of electric field?) = -kq/Kr [2R - R] = -kq/2KR + kq/KR = kq/2KR

I know that a dielectric will decrease the electric potential, so I thought V = Vsphere - Vdielectric = kq*((1/R) - (1/6R)).

This is not correct and I'm not sure where I messed up.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree with your work up to this point:
    Think through that again. I believe you have made quite a simple mistake in what to subtract from what.

4. Feb 3, 2017 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe more straightforward if you just integrated the E field from infinity to R.

5. Feb 12, 2017 #4
    So integral of E field from infinity to R = (integral of E field from infinity to 2R) + (integral of E field through dielectric).

From from infinity to 2R, can I still consider the system as a point particle and say the electric field is kQ/R^2? Or does that change with the dielectric in place?

6. Feb 12, 2017 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Answer this by applying Gauss' law to a Gaussian surface of radius r>2R.

7. Feb 12, 2017 #6
    EA = Qenclosed/E0

If I'm understanding correctly, a dielectric doesn't change the total charge enclosed, so Qenclosed should still be Q.

E = Q/AE0 = kQ/R^2

8. Feb 12, 2017 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but I'm not sure why this thread has become so complicated.
    A dielectric diminishes the potential difference across it. It exerts no long range field, so cannot affect potential gradients outside itself, as you confirmed by following TSny's hint.
    In post #1 you found the dielectric layer reduced the potential difference across it from kq/2R to kq/2KR. What reduction in potential in the sphere is needed to keep the potential at infinity zero?

9. Feb 12, 2017 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

good thought!
    but don't say "E0" when you mean ε0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted