Finding the electric field magnitude in each region of a sphere

In summary: In order to use Gauss's Law, we must first find the total charge enclosed within a certain radius. To do this, we must integrate the given charge density over the volume of the region. Once we have the enclosed charge, we can use Gauss's Law to find the electric field in each region. To find the electric potential, we can use the definition of electric potential as the work done per unit charge to move a test charge from infinity to a certain point. We can then sketch a graph of the potential as a function of radius, labeling the potential at the given points.
Joa Boaz

Homework Statement

A charged insulating spherical shell has winner radius of a/3 an an outer radius of a. The cross section is as shown on the picture. The outer shell has a non-constant volume charge density of ρ = 6*α*r^3. Find the electric field magnitude in each region (outside the object, in the shell itself, and in the cavity contained in the shell). Find the electric potential in each region, and sketch a graph of the electric potential as a function of radius for r = 0 to r = 2a and label the potential at r = a/3, a, and 2a. The reference point for the potential is that V = 0 to r = ∞

Homework Equations

Not sure but,

E = (1/4∏*ε) * Q/r^2

E = (1/4∏*ε) * (Q/r^3) * r

The Attempt at a Solution

q(inside) = -Q(sphere) = - 4/3 * ∏ * (a^3) ρ = (-4/3)*∏*((a^6)/729)*6α = (-8/729)*(a^6)*∏*α
q(outise) = - q(inside) = (8/729)*∏*α

σ(outer) = q(outside)/4∏*a^2 = (2/729)*(a^4)*∏*α

Not sure if the above is correct, but I am not sure what I have to do after this. Please can anyone help, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so sure about your notation. In such cases it's much easier to integrate the electrostatic Poisson equation,
[tex]\Delta \Phi=-\frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \rho.[/tex]
In this case you have spherical symmetry and thus [itex]\Phi=\Phi(r)[/itex], where [itex]r=|\vec{r}|[/itex] is the distance from the origin (the center of your spheres). Just look up the Laplace operator in spherical coordinates and solve the differential equation in the different regions. The constants are determined by the appropriate boundary conditions.

Thank you for your help. But I am not sure if I am allowed to use the Laplace operator since the professor has not gone over the Laplace transform. Is there any other way to tackle the above question without using Laplace transform?

Thank you.

It's not about the Laplace transform but the Laplace operator. In Cartesian coordinates it reads
[tex]\Delta \Phi=\partial_x^2 \Phi + \partial_y^2 \Phi + \partial_z^2 \Phi.[/tex]

Joa Boaz said:

Homework Statement

A charged insulating spherical shell has winner radius of a/3 an an outer radius of a. The cross section is as shown on the picture. The outer shell has a non-constant volume charge density of ρ = 6*α*r^3. Find the electric field magnitude in each region (outside the object, in the shell itself, and in the cavity contained in the shell). Find the electric potential in each region, and sketch a graph of the electric potential as a function of radius for r = 0 to r = 2a and label the potential at r = a/3, a, and 2a. The reference point for the potential is that V = 0 to r = ∞

Homework Equations

Not sure but,

E = (1/4∏*ε) * Q/r^2

E = (1/4∏*ε) * (Q/r^3) * r

The Attempt at a Solution

q(inside) = -Q(sphere) = - 4/3 * ∏ * (a^3) ρ = (-4/3)*∏*((a^6)/729)*6α = (-8/729)*(a^6)*∏*α
q(outise) = - q(inside) = (8/729)*∏*α

σ(outer) = q(outside)/4∏*a^2 = (2/729)*(a^4)*∏*α

Not sure if the above is correct, but I am not sure what I have to do after this. Please can anyone help, thank you.
It's not very clear at all what you're doing. As far as I can tell, you found a similar example in the book or your notes and just plugged in the values from this problem into the equations from the example. That approach doesn't require any real understanding, and it won't help you in the long run. In this case, you seemed to have picked an example that doesn't apply to the described situation.

Try again, this time justifying why you're taking each step. To find the electric field, use Gauss's law. You have spherical symmetry here, so use it. Because the charge density is non-uniform, you'll need to integrate to find the enclosed charge.

vanhees71 said:
It's not about the Laplace transform but the Laplace operator. In Cartesian coordinates it reads
[tex]\Delta \Phi=\partial_x^2 \Phi + \partial_y^2 \Phi + \partial_z^2 \Phi.[/tex]
I do really appreciate your help. It seems that my level of physics is very low because I just don't see how I can use partial derivatives on this problem. But I really do appreciate your help.

This problem is solvable by Gauss's Law since it is spherically symmetric.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the electric field magnitude in each region of a sphere?

The formula for finding the electric field magnitude in each region of a sphere is:E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field magnitude, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. How is the electric field magnitude affected by the charge of the sphere?

The electric field magnitude is directly proportional to the charge of the sphere. This means that as the charge of the sphere increases, the electric field magnitude also increases. Similarly, if the charge of the sphere decreases, the electric field magnitude will also decrease.

3. What is the relationship between the electric field magnitude and the distance from the center of the sphere?

The electric field magnitude is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that as the distance from the center of the sphere increases, the electric field magnitude decreases. Similarly, if the distance from the center of the sphere decreases, the electric field magnitude will increase.

4. How does the electric field magnitude vary in different regions of a sphere?

The electric field magnitude varies in different regions of a sphere because the distance from the center of the sphere and the charge distribution of the sphere are not constant throughout. At the center of the sphere, the electric field magnitude is zero. As you move towards the surface of the sphere, the electric field magnitude increases until it reaches its maximum value at the surface. Beyond the surface, the electric field magnitude decreases as the distance from the center increases.

5. Can the electric field magnitude be negative in any region of a sphere?

Yes, the electric field magnitude can be negative in some regions of a sphere. This occurs when the charge of the sphere is negative, resulting in an electric field that points towards the center of the sphere. At the center of the sphere, the electric field magnitude is zero and cannot be negative.