Potential inside NON-Conducting hollow spherical shell

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the constants a and b for a spherical shell with charge density on the surface and a given potential equation inside the shell. One method suggested is to use spherical coordinates and solve for a or b using the boundary condition \partial V/\partial \theta = 0. Another suggestion is to use the Laplacian of the voltage, related to the charge, as a boundary condition. It is also mentioned that the potential inside is axially symmetric, and thus a and b must be equal. It is ultimately concluded that the angular distribution must be a Legendre polynomial, and the constants a and b are determined to be -3.
dikmikkel
Hi Guys,
Suppose we have a spherical shell with charge density on the surface [itex]\sigma[/itex] and radius R. The potential inside the shell is given by:

V_(x,y,z) = [itex]\frac{V0}{R^{2}}(6z^2+ax^2+by^2)[/itex]
It is assumed, that the potential is rotational symmetric around the z-axis inside and outside the shell, and goes to 0 far away from the shell. There's no charge inside and outside the shell and no outer field.

How do i determine the constants a and b?

Mabye change to spherical coordinates and solve the equation:
[itex]\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{\theta}}=0[/itex]
for a or b. But i can't figure out any other conditions if this is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Laplacian of the voltage is related to the charge. So your boundary conditions would be:

[tex] \nabla^2 V = -\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon} [/tex]

On the surface of the shell. So for ease of analysis you would want to do this in spherical coordinates.

I can't really see that this is a boundary condition? And would solving possions equation on the surface help me determine a and b, i can't really follow?

Aah sorry I am really tired now. I take the laplacian, and this would relate it all, beautiful, Thanks. Just so used to try finding the potential :)
And sorry for the language. I'm from Denmark.

If the pot inside is axially symjmetric, and b must be equal.
Since DEl^2 V=0 inside, the angular distribution must be a Legendre polynomial.
Since the power of x,y,and z is 2, it must be
[tex]P_2(\cos\theta)=(3\cos^2\theta-1)/2[/tex].
This means a=b=-3.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's gold thank you.

1. What is the equation for the electric potential inside a non-conducting hollow spherical shell?

The equation for the electric potential inside a non-conducting hollow spherical shell is V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

2. How does the electric potential inside a non-conducting hollow spherical shell vary with distance?

The electric potential inside a non-conducting hollow spherical shell varies inversely with distance from the center of the shell. This means that as the distance increases, the potential decreases.

3. Is the electric potential inside a non-conducting hollow spherical shell affected by the presence of a charge outside the shell?

No, the electric potential inside a non-conducting hollow spherical shell is not affected by the presence of a charge outside the shell. This is because the electric field inside a non-conducting shell is zero.

4. Can the electric potential inside a non-conducting hollow spherical shell ever be negative?

Yes, the electric potential inside a non-conducting hollow spherical shell can be negative if the charge on the shell is negative. This means that the potential energy of a positive test charge placed inside the shell would decrease, indicating a negative potential.

5. How does the electric potential inside a non-conducting hollow spherical shell compare to that inside a conducting shell?

The electric potential inside a non-conducting hollow spherical shell is the same as that inside a conducting shell, as long as the charges on the shells are the same. However, the electric field inside a non-conducting shell is zero, while the electric field inside a conducting shell is non-zero.