Potential of a Charged Spherical Shell

In summary, the task is to find the potential at different distances from a hollow spherical conductor with a net charge of +Q = 47 pC and a point charge of +Q/2 at the center. The formula for the potential of a sphere is V= Q/4πε0*r, but it is only valid outside of the sphere. Inside the sphere, the formula is V=kQ/R, where R represents the distance from the center. Therefore, to find the potential at different distances, the potentials from all charges must be summed and the appropriate formula must be used depending on the location.
Estefania_8

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical conductor, carrying a net charge +Q = 47 pC, has inner radius r1 = 5.9 cm and outer radius r2 = 11.9 cm. At the center of the sphere is a point charge +Q/2.

a. Find the potential at r = 18.0 cm.
b. Find the potential at r = 10.0 cm.
c. Find the potential at r = 4.0 cm.
HW7_4.jpg

Homework Equations

V= Q/4πε0*r (for potential of a sphere)
1pC=1.0E-12C​

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted pC to C, so I get 4.7E-11C. Then I used the equation for potential, so I just substituted the values of r and used the different values of Q depending on whether the potential I need to find is near to Q or to Q/2. (i.e., Q/2 when finding V at 4cm). I'm not sure what charge I should be using or if there are more steps than simply plugging in numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to sum the potentials from all charges at every r. You must also keep in mind that the formula you have given for the potential from a sphere is only valid outside of the sphere. Do you know what the potential inside the sphere is?

Orodruin said:
You need to sum the potentials from all charges at every r. You must also keep in mind that the formula you have given for the potential from a sphere is only valid outside of the sphere. Do you know what the potential inside the sphere is?
So I would find the potential outside sphere and also find the potential inside the sphere? The equation for the potential inside the sphere is V=kQ/R, so does the R represent the distance away from the center?

Estefania_8 said:
So I would find the potential outside sphere and also find the potential inside the sphere? The equation for the potential inside the sphere is V=kQ/R, so does the R represent the distance away from the center?

No, if it did there would be no difference to the formula for the potential outside. If you found the formula, there should be a description of what R is in connection to it.

What is the potential of a charged spherical shell at a point outside the shell?

The potential at a point outside the shell is equal to the potential of a point charge with the same magnitude of charge as the shell, located at the center of the shell. This is known as the shell theorem.

How does the potential of a charged spherical shell change as the distance from the center of the shell increases?

The potential decreases as the distance from the center of the shell increases. This is because the electric field, and thus the potential, is inversely proportional to the distance squared.

What is the potential of a charged spherical shell at a point inside the shell?

The potential at a point inside the shell is constant and equal to the potential at the surface of the shell. This is because the electric field inside a conductor is zero, and the potential is constant throughout a region with zero electric field.

How is the potential of a charged spherical shell affected by the amount of charge on the shell?

The potential is directly proportional to the amount of charge on the shell. This means that as the charge on the shell increases, the potential also increases.

Is the potential of a charged spherical shell affected by the radius of the shell?

Yes, the potential is inversely proportional to the radius of the shell. This means that as the radius of the shell increases, the potential decreases, and vice versa.