Potential of a Rectangular Pipe by Laplace's Equation

In summary: Yes, next time you'll need to upload some scans, there was quite a bit of work to type out. You had about 4 pages of work, lol, and you really didn't want to do it in standard script - gets really really messy. You've figured this problem out in the meantime. Thanks for looking at least. I'll put up my work etc.. if it's wrong when it gets returned.
DrPapper

Homework Statement

EM HW7.jpg

Homework Equations

Is my part a correct and am I on the right track for part b? If not please give me some suggestions to get me closer to the right track. Also, how would I even begin c.? We have literally done no examples like this in class.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution to a.)
em.png

For b. I simply took -(del) on it. But I have no idea how to graph my solution. Is there a better way to approach this?

ON A SEPARATE NOTE, ARE WE STILL ABLE TO DO LATEX ON HERE? I THINK THERE USED TO BE AN EDITOR AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE FOR TESTING YOUR WRITING IN BEFORE LOADING IT TO THIS FORM.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be a lot more helpful if you posted your work. I'm much more inclined to look over your work and see if you did it correctly rather than spending the time to do the problem on my own from scratch to see if my answer matches yours.

Yes, you can still do LaTeX on here. Under the text box, there's a link to a LaTeX guide.

vela said:
I would be a lot more helpful if you posted your work. I'm much more inclined to look over your work and see if you did it correctly rather than spending the time to do the problem on my own from scratch to see if my answer matches yours.

Yes, you can still do LaTeX on here. Under the text box, there's a link to a LaTeX guide.
Yes, next time I'll need to upload some scans, there was quite a bit of work to type out. I had about 4 pages of work, lol, and I really didn't want to do it in standard script - gets really really messy. I wish the latex preview box was still down at the bottom. But I think I've figured this problem out in the meantime. :D Thanks for looking at least. I'll put up my work etc.. if it's wrong when it gets returned.

1. What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the potential of a scalar field. It is used in many fields of science, including engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. How is Laplace's equation used to calculate the potential of a rectangular pipe?

The potential of a rectangular pipe can be calculated by solving Laplace's equation using boundary conditions specific to the pipe, such as the shape, size, and material properties of the pipe.

3. What is the significance of the potential of a rectangular pipe?

The potential of a rectangular pipe is important in understanding the behavior of fluid flow through the pipe. It can also be used to analyze the distribution of heat or electricity within the pipe.

4. Is Laplace's equation the only method for calculating the potential of a rectangular pipe?

No, there are other methods such as the finite element method and the finite difference method that can also be used to solve for the potential of a rectangular pipe. However, Laplace's equation is a widely used and well-established method.

5. Can Laplace's equation be applied to other shapes besides a rectangular pipe?

Yes, Laplace's equation can be applied to many different shapes and geometries, as long as the appropriate boundary conditions are known. It is a versatile equation that has many applications in science and engineering.