Finite element solving of Laplace's equation doesn't converge

In summary, the problem with the homework equation is that it doesn't converge with the latest methods, which are derichlet and flux=0 boundary conditions.
crum

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve Laplace's equation numerically in 3d for a charged sphere in a big box. I'm using Comsol, which solves using the finite elements method. I used neumann BC on the surface of the sphere, and flux=0 BC on the box in which I have the sphere. The result does not converge.

Homework Equations

Laplace's equation \[\nabla^2 \phi=0\]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using derichlet BC instead of neumann, and a fixed potential at the box (instead of flux=0), but the result still doesn't converge. Convergance errors usually appears when the mesh is not fine enough or I'm missing a boundary condition, but I don't see how using neumann at the surface and flux=0 at the box wouldn't be enough boundary conditions. I have used the same BCs using the Poisson-Boltzman eq and it worked fine there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it being solved iteratively?

Chestermiller said:
Is it being solved iteratively?
Yes, that's how COMSOL works.

@crum: can you give more details about how you are setting up the problem in COMSOL?

DrClaude said:
Yes, that's how COMSOL works.

@crum: can you give more details about how you are setting up the problem in COMSOL?
I make a small sphere inside of a big simulation box (100times the size of the sphere). I set the laplace to hold inside of the simulation box and inside the sphere. I set neumann conditions on the surface of the sphere, and flux=0 BC on the edge of the box. I don't know what other info i could give you.

I tried making a small-scale 1d model and it still didn't work, so I'm guessing it has to do with some more basic error. I set Laplace's equation to hold on an interval, with neumann BC on one side of the interval, and flux=0 BC on the other side. The result still didn't converge.

crum said:
I set neumann conditions on the surface of the sphere, and flux=0 BC on the edge of the box. I don't know what other info i could give you.
When you say you set Neumann conditions on the surface of the sphere, are you implying that you have non-homogenous Neumann conditions? If so, this would imply a non-zero flux into (or out of) your volume and no sources inside the volume. Thus, your boundary conditions would be incompatible with your differential equation.

1. Why is my finite element solution of Laplace's equation not converging?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the mesh used for the finite element calculation is not fine enough, resulting in inaccurate results. Another reason could be that the boundary conditions are not properly specified. Additionally, the chosen element type or numerical solver may not be suitable for the problem at hand.

2. What can I do to improve the convergence of my finite element solution?

To improve convergence, you can try refining the mesh, ensuring that the boundary conditions are correctly defined, or changing the element type or numerical solver. It may also be helpful to check for any errors in the code or equations used for the calculation.

3. Can the problem of non-convergence be caused by a singularity in the domain?

Yes, a singularity in the domain can lead to non-convergence of the finite element solution. This can occur if the singularity is not properly handled in the mesh or if the element type used is not suitable for handling singularities.

4. How can I determine if my finite element solution has converged?

One way to determine convergence is to check the solution at different mesh resolutions. If the solution remains consistent as the mesh is refined, then it is likely converged. Another method is to monitor the residual error, which should decrease as the solution converges.

5. Are there any general guidelines for achieving convergence in finite element solutions of Laplace's equation?

Yes, there are some general guidelines that can help with achieving convergence. These include using a fine enough mesh, ensuring proper boundary conditions, choosing an appropriate element type and numerical solver, and checking for any errors in the code or equations used for the calculation. It is also important to properly handle any singularities in the domain.