Potential of an infinite line of charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 10K views
th5418
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find a potential a distance r from an infinitely long straight wire that carries a uniform line charge [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Compute the gradient of your potential and check that it yields the correct field.

Homework Equations


[tex]V=[/tex][tex]\frac{KQ}{R}[/tex]
[tex]\oint E \bullet dS=\frac{Q}{episolon}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried doing it the V=kq/r way, but then I realized it doesn't work, since for that it assumes that potential is zero infinitely far away. But it isn't. The problem doesn't want me to find the e-field first, which would be a lot easier, any tips?

Do i need to go to the most basic definition of potential?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
V=kq/r gives the potential of a point charge.

For a continuous linear charge distribution,

[tex]V(\textbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \frac{\lambda(\textbf{r}')dl'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}[/tex]
 
Hm, yeah I got that.
This is what I have right now.

[tex]V=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda dx}{\sqrt{r^{2}+x^{2}}}[/tex]

But the integral blows up when I integrate from negative to positive infinity.
 
th5418 said:
But the integral blows up when I integrate from negative to positive infinity.

Yes, I suppose it does.

So, you can either compute the field first using Gauss' law and then find the potential using

[tex]V(\textbf{r})=-\int_{\mathcal{O}}^{\textbf{r}}\textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{l}[/tex]

Or, if you aren't allowed to do that, use separation of variables to solve Laplace's equation in cylindrical coordinates.
 
I can do that? Please advise on that second part.

This is using [tex]\nabla^{2} V = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]??
 
th5418 said:
I can do that? Please advise on that second part.

This is using [tex]\nabla^{2} V = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]??

Yes (sorry , I meant Poisson's equation, not Laplace's), based on symmetry, what variables would you expect [itex]V[/itex] to depend on? The distance from the axis? The axial coordinate? The azimuthal coordinate? You can use that to express [itex]\nabla^2V[/itex] in terms of ordinary derivatives, giving you a second order ODE to solve.
 
That's out of the league of the class. I could do it though...

I know the potential field is suppose to be...

[tex]V = -\frac{\sigma}{2\pi \epsilon_o} ln(r)[/tex]

Is there any other way to solve this? I've exhausted all possibilities.

QUESTION:
For the
[tex]V=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex]
does that assume that potential is 0 [tex]\infty[/tex] far away?
 
Last edited:
th5418 said:
That's out of the league of the class. I could do it though...

I know the potential field is suppose to be...

[tex]V = \frac{\sigma}{2\pi \epsilon_o} ln(r)[/tex]

Is there any other way to solve this? I've exhausted all possibilities.

If you haven't been taught this method yet, then I would guess you are expected to first calculate the electric field and then integrate...the question doesn't explicitly tell you not to do that does it?

QUESTION:
For the
[tex]V=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex]
does that assume that potential is 0 [tex]\infty[/tex] far away?

Yes,

[tex]V(\textbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \frac{\lambda(\textbf{r}')dl'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}[/tex]

is a solution (in integral form) of Poisson's equation, subject to the boundary condition [itex]V\to 0[/itex] at [itex]|\textbf{r}|\to \infty[/itex].
 
Well, I'm just going to go to the professor's office hour, thanks though!