1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of an infinite line of charge

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a potential a distance r from an infinitely long straight wire that carries a uniform line charge [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Compute the gradient of your potential and check that it yields the correct field.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]V=[/tex][tex]\frac{KQ}{R}[/tex]
    [tex]\oint E \bullet dS=\frac{Q}{episolon}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried doing it the V=kq/r way, but then I realized it doesnt work, since for that it assumes that potential is zero infinitely far away. But it isn't. The problem doesn't want me to find the e-field first, which would be a lot easier, any tips?

Do i need to go to the most basic definition of potential?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

V=kq/r gives the potential of a point charge.

For a continuous linear charge distribution,

[tex]V(\textbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \frac{\lambda(\textbf{r}')dl'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}[/tex]

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    Hm, yeah I got that.
    This is what I have right now.

[tex]V=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda dx}{\sqrt{r^{2}+x^{2}}}[/tex]

But the integral blows up when I integrate from negative to positive infinity.

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I suppose it does.

So, you can either compute the field first using Gauss' law and then find the potential using

[tex]V(\textbf{r})=-\int_{\mathcal{O}}^{\textbf{r}}\textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{l}[/tex]

Or, if you aren't allowed to do that, use separation of variables to solve Laplace's equation in cylindrical coordinates.

6. Sep 15, 2009 #5
    I can do that? Please advise on that second part.

This is using [tex]\nabla^{2} V = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]??

7. Sep 15, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes (sorry , I meant Poisson's equation, not Laplace's), based on symmetry, what variables would you expect [itex]V[/itex] to depend on? The distance from the axis? The axial coordinate? The azimuthal coordinate? You can use that to express [itex]\nabla^2V[/itex] in terms of ordinary derivatives, giving you a second order ODE to solve.

8. Sep 15, 2009 #7
    That's out of the league of the class. I could do it though...

I know the potential field is suppose to be...

[tex]V = -\frac{\sigma}{2\pi \epsilon_o} ln(r)[/tex]

Is there any other way to solve this? I've exhausted all possibilities.

QUESTION:
    For the
    [tex]V=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex]
    does that assume that potential is 0 [tex]\infty[/tex] far away?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  9. Sep 15, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you haven't been taught this method yet, then I would guess you are expected to first calculate the electric field and then integrate....the question doesn't explicitly tell you not to do that does it?

Yes,

[tex]V(\textbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \frac{\lambda(\textbf{r}')dl'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}[/tex]

is a solution (in integral form) of Poisson's equation, subject to the boundary condition [itex]V\to 0[/itex] at [itex]|\textbf{r}|\to \infty[/itex].

10. Sep 15, 2009 #9
    Well, I'm just going to go to the professor's office hour, thanks though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook