Potential vs Kinetic Energy Help

In summary, the problem statement is to calculate the potential energy, kinetic energy, and total energy of a ball dropped from a 100 m building with an initial velocity of 0. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2mv^2 and potential energy is PE = mgh, and the velocity can be calculated using v = (2gh)^(1/2). However, the issue is that the problem does not provide the mass, but it can be cancelled out using the law of conservation of energy. The solution involves taking the square root of both sides of the equation mgh = 1/2mv^2.
pinkvoid
SO I am writing this fortran 95 program and the problem statement is the following:

-Calculate the potential energy, kinetic energy, and total energy when a ball with an
initial velocity of 0 is dropped from a 100 m building.

KE = 1/2mv^2
PE = mgh
v = (2gh)^(1/2)

The main issue I am having is the fact that the problem never gave a mass. I know
that from the law of conservation of energy that I can set KE=PE and cancel out the
masses. However this doesn't really get me anywhere. So far I have calculated all of
my velocities that I need. But now I am stuck. Unless there is some super easy way to
solve this and I just don't see it...

mgh=(1/2)mv^2

gh=(1/2)v^2 <=== This doesn't get me anywhere though

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} \rightarrow v = \sqrt{2gh} [/tex]

Take the square root of both sides. =)

Dear writer,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your Fortran 95 program. It seems like you are on the right track with calculating the potential and kinetic energies using the equations you have provided. However, you are correct in noting that without knowing the mass of the ball, you cannot calculate the exact values for these energies.

In order to solve this problem, you will need to make some assumptions about the mass of the ball. One approach could be to assume a standard mass for a ball, such as 1 kg, and use that value in your calculations. Another approach could be to ask the user to input the mass of the ball when running the program.

Once you have a value for the mass, you can use the equations you have already calculated to find the potential, kinetic, and total energies of the ball. Remember to consider the units of measurement for each variable (e.g. meters for height, meters per second for velocity, and kilograms for mass) to ensure that your final answer has the correct units.

If you are still having trouble, you can try breaking down the problem into smaller steps. For example, first calculate the potential energy using the given height and the assumed or user-input mass. Then use this value to find the kinetic energy using the equation you have provided. Finally, add the two energies together to find the total energy.

I hope this helps guide you in solving your program. As a scientist, it is important to make assumptions and use problem solving skills to find solutions, even when all the information is not provided. Good luck with your program!

1. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is potential energy converted into kinetic energy?

Potential energy is converted into kinetic energy when an object's position or configuration changes, causing it to move and gain kinetic energy.

3. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This happens when an object is in a position or configuration that is lower than its reference point, resulting in a decrease in potential energy.

4. What are some examples of potential and kinetic energy?

Examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a book on a shelf, and a roller coaster at the top of a hill. Examples of kinetic energy include a rolling ball, a swinging pendulum, and a moving car.

5. Is one type of energy more important than the other?

Both potential and kinetic energy are important in understanding the behavior of objects. Potential energy allows us to predict the future motion of an object, while kinetic energy helps us understand how much work an object can do. Both types of energy work together to determine the overall energy of a system.