Powder pattern calculation from single crystal data

In summary: Thanks for the question. The powder diffraction indexing formula would be: MILLER INDEX = (D * Q) / ((2*D+Q)^2)
Mabied738
Powder pattern calculation from single crystal data
Hi

Kindly, I want to know what the theoretical base of X-ray powder diffraction pattern calculation from single crystal data? and is the obtained pattern same as experimental powder pattern and if not same what the cause of difference? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Powder data are simply a projection of all single crystal data onto 1D x-axis, i.e. for each (hkl) you take the absolute Q(hkl) and put the respective intensity on the 1D axis at the point x=Q.

read said:
Powder data are simply a projection of all single crystal data onto 1D x-axis, i.e. for each (hkl) you take the absolute Q(hkl) and put the respective intensity on the 1D axis at the point x=Q.

Thanks a lot for your answer, can you suggest textbook or paper to read about the theory and mathematical method which describe how the software convert single crystal diffraction data to powder pattern, i.e. 2Theta versus Intensity plot.

Best Regards

Thanks

Mabied738 said:
Thanks a lot for your answer, can you suggest textbook or paper to read about the theory and mathematical method which describe how the software convert single crystal diffraction data to powder pattern, i.e. 2Theta versus Intensity plot.

Best Regards

Well there are so many books on crystallography. Probably one of the best is by Vainshtein:
http://books.google.ch/books?id=xjI...of Crystals: Modern Crystallography,&f=false"

There is a lot of software for this. You can Google "powdercell", or www.oxfordcryosystems.com for a free copy of Crystallographica, or
"fullprof suite" or "gsas".

Last edited by a moderator:
read said:
Well there are so many books on crystallography. Probably one of the best is by Vainshtein:
http://books.google.ch/books?id=xjI...of Crystals: Modern Crystallography,&f=false"

There is a lot of software for this. You can Google "powdercell", or www.oxfordcryosystems.com for a free copy of Crystallographica, or
"fullprof suite" or "gsas".

Thanks for sending these nice books and software, but there is specific theoretical method deal with converting single crystal data to powder pattern plot, and I didn't found it in the general crystallography textbooks, as by Vainshtein, so do you know where I can found it and what is the keywords for it?

Thanks and sorry for confusion again

Last edited by a moderator:
Mabied738 said:
Thanks for sending these nice books and software, but there is specific theoretical method deal with converting single crystal data to powder pattern plot, and I didn't found it in the general crystallography textbooks, as by Vainshtein, so do you know where I can found it and what is the keywords for it?

Thanks and sorry for confusion again

This type of plot is possible in 'Winplotr' (from FullProf). Actually in general the powder pattern will depend on the geometry of XRD experiment. In short, you should use your .hkl-file with intensities and ask Fullprof to calculate the diffracton _powder_ pattern for your powder resolution parameters that are also specified in the input file in Le Bail (powder matching) mode. To make a really true conversion one needs a collection of reflections within Ewald sphere (symmetric in 4pi).

A big difference in powder (PD) and SC (SCD) diffraction experiment is that in the PD you have a profile I(2\theta), whereas in SCD you have already integrated peaks.

The conversion of just integrated intensities is extremely straightforward. For each reflection you calculate \theta and add the intensity to I(2\theta). You should allow some tolerance in 2\theta, because you are dealing with experimental data having some errorbars. There is also correction for Lorenz factor (LF). If your original SCD data were already corrected for LF, then you multiply I(2\theta) by 1/[sin(\theta)*sin(2\theta)]. We assume some standard Bragg-Brentano PD. This way you will get the integrated intensities, but not the profile, which is dependent on the resolution parameters.

can anyone you tell me how to get the miller indices and cell parameters from powder XRD pattern

thank you can you suggest any formula for calculating the cell parameters with 'd' and 2theata

hai
can you suggest the formula for finding the miller indices from powder xrd pattern with d and 2 theta values.

Best regards

Can you figure it out? Start with a cubic system. How are the miller indices for a family of planes in a cubic lattice related to the d-spacing for those planes?

Also, next time, start a new thread if you have a question that is different from the one being discussed in the existing thread.

can you help me in solve collected data from xrd pattern by using manual search?

Single Crystal X-ray Crtstallography Data Processing

Can anyone help me in processing the single crystal x-ray data. I have a full data including all frames, p4p files etc. I am unable to process it. Plz help

1. What is the purpose of powder pattern calculation from single crystal data?

The purpose of powder pattern calculation from single crystal data is to simulate the diffraction pattern that would be observed if a single crystal were ground into a powder and then analyzed. This can provide important information about the crystal structure, such as the orientation and arrangement of atoms within the crystal lattice.

2. How is a powder pattern calculated from single crystal data?

A powder pattern is calculated by using specialized software to simulate the diffraction pattern based on the crystal structure and the properties of the X-rays used in the analysis. This involves taking into account factors such as the crystal symmetry, atomic positions, and X-ray wavelength.

3. What are the benefits of using powder pattern calculation from single crystal data?

Using powder pattern calculation from single crystal data can provide valuable information about the crystal structure, including the type and number of atoms present, the spacing between atoms, and the orientation of the crystal lattice. This can aid in the identification and characterization of materials, and can also help in the design of new materials with specific properties.

4. What are some common challenges when performing powder pattern calculation from single crystal data?

Some common challenges when performing powder pattern calculation from single crystal data include difficulties in obtaining high-quality single crystals, errors in the crystallographic data used in the calculation, and limitations in the software used for the simulation. Additionally, the calculation may not accurately reflect the real-world powder pattern due to factors such as preferred orientation or impurities in the sample.

5. How can powder pattern calculation from single crystal data be used in real-world applications?

Powder pattern calculation from single crystal data has a wide range of applications, including in materials science, geology, and pharmaceuticals. It can be used to identify unknown substances, determine the purity and composition of a sample, and aid in the development of new materials with specific properties. Additionally, it is used in the analysis of X-ray diffraction data, which is a common technique for studying the structure of materials in various industries.