1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power dissipated in the inductor

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    In RL, AC circuit, an AC source vst = 220sin(40000t-45°) is connected to a 60mH inductor and a 3kΩ resistor.

Show that the power dissipated in the inductor is zero.

The current in this circuit is 0.057A as I calclulated. I know that inductor has no charging role in this circuit. But how can I write, describe this by equation?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2
    You need to find the power over one cycle, (or an integral number if you choose).

[tex]P = \int v(t)i(t)dt[/tex]

4. Feb 8, 2009 #3
    Would you please make it simpler? I have not learned this before. I learned that

[tex]P_{avg} = V_{rms}I_{rms}cos(\theta) = V_{rms}I_{rms}\frac{R}{Z}[/tex]

only.

5. Feb 8, 2009 #4
    You need to calculate both the current through, and the voltage across the inductor as a functions of time.

Inductors, being what they are, you should find that they are 90 degrees out of phase.

Since this is homework, you need to show some work. Generally, the more work the more help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook