Power Dissipated - Kirchhoff's Rule

In summary: You are correct, PRL is equal to VI = V*(V/R) = V2/(R0+RL). One of Kirchhoff's rules would be to solve for RL where it is a maximum.
Pete_01

Homework Statement

Using symbols, write PRL, the power dissipated in RL as a function of RL (your other symbols are R0 and the power supply voltage epsilon both of which are constant. 10V and 100ohms) and then take the derivative of this function with respect to RL for which PRL has an extreme value, in this case a maximum.

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's what I was thinking...
PRL = VI where I = V/R so replace that with Epsilon2/R0
Then plug in the constant values 10V and 100ohms to get PRL = 1W dRL

Not sure where to go from here though as the derivative gives zero. What am I missing? Did I do it all incorrectly? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pete_01 said:
… Not sure where to go from here though as the derivative gives zero.

Hi Pete_01! :smile:

You're confusing R0 with RL.

I haven't worked out what R0 is (what is it? and what is the context?), but clearly P will depend on RL, either instead of or as well as R0. :wink:

Hi Tim,

R0 is a constant resistor of value 100ohms.

But where is it, and what's RL ? :confused:

Oops, sorry. RL is a variable resistor that was changed in value from 10-1280ohms. I attached the circuit picture as well.

Thanks

Attachments

• p.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 243
Pete_01 said:
Oops, sorry. RL is a variable resistor that was changed in value from 10-1280ohms. I attached the circuit picture as well.

Thanks

ohh! they're two resistors in series! :rolleyes:

ok, then your formula I = V/R0 should be changed to … ? :wink:

So it would be I = V/(R0+RL)?

Then your left with PRL = 102/(R0+RL)d(RL) Correct?

Pete_01 said:
So it would be I = V/(R0+RL)?

Yes. :smile:
Then your left with PRL = 102/(R0+RL)d(RL) Correct?

what's d ? :confused:

and what formula are you using for PRL ?

So I used P=VI where I is substituted in from above. 10 is the voltage.

PRL = VI = V*(V/R) = V2/(R0+RL)

It said to find RL where it is maximum I need to take the derivative of the function with respect to RL and set the derivative equal to 0, then solve for RL.

Pete_01 said:
So I used P=VI where I is substituted in from above. 10 is the voltage.

But 10 isn't the voltage across RL, is it? :wink:

(and that's not the quickest formula, anyway)

Ah yes, it is not. What is the best way to solve this?

erm :redface:

… one of Kirchhoff's rules ? :smile:

What is Power Dissipated?

Power dissipated refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat or other forms of energy when an electrical current flows through a circuit.

How is Power Dissipated Calculated?

Power dissipated can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P represents power dissipated, I represents current, and R represents resistance. This equation is derived from Ohm's Law.

What is Kirchhoff's Rule?

Kirchhoff's Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Law, is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction. This rule is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

How is Kirchhoff's Rule Applied in Circuit Analysis?

Kirchhoff's Rule is applied by using two laws: Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of all currents entering a junction must equal the sum of all currents leaving the junction. KVL states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop must equal zero.

Why is Power Dissipated Important in Circuit Analysis?

Power dissipated is important in circuit analysis because it helps determine the efficiency of a circuit and can also help identify any potential problems or malfunctions. It is also used to calculate the heat generated in a circuit, which is important for ensuring the safety and proper functioning of electronic devices.