Power in fullwave rectified circuit

In summary, the question is asking about the power produced by a full wave rectified sinusoidal alternating current in the same load. By comparing the areas under the waveforms of a sine wave and a full wave rectified wave, it can be determined that the rectified current produces the same power as the sine wave, making the answer (a). The calculation of average power being half of the max. power is not relevant to the question.
songoku

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal alternating current is fullwave rectified. The rectified current will produce in the same load

a. the same power
b. 0.71 times the power
c. 1.41 times the power
d. half the power
e. twice the power

Homework Equations

Pmax=Imax x Vmax

Paverage=Irms x Vrms

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the question is asking about the average power. For full wave rectified :

[tex]I__rms =\frac{I_max}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

[tex]V__rms =\frac{V_max}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]Paverage=Irms x Vrms= [tex]\frac{I_max}{\sqrt{2}}\times \frac{V_max}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{P_max}{2}[/tex]

So, the answer is (d) ?

If the question asking about the max. power, then the answer will be the same ?

And how to determine whether the question is asking about max. or average power?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Go back to the basics. Power is the integral over a cycle of I*V or I²R dt.
Sketch the waveforms and shade in the area of the integral in each case.
How do the areas compare?

Hi Delphi51
Delphi51 said:
Go back to the basics. Power is the integral over a cycle of I*V or I²R dt.
Sketch the waveforms and shade in the area of the integral in each case.
How do the areas compare?

I tried to sketch the waveform of sine wave and full wave rectified, then compared the areas. The areas will be the same so the answer should be (a) ?

Yes.

Hi Delphi51

Now I see that what I've done on the first post didn't answer the question. It's just a little work to show that the average power is half of the max. power.

Thanks a lot !

Yes, nothing to do with average power. Just a comparison between sine wave and rectified sine wave.

What is a fullwave rectified circuit?

A fullwave rectified circuit is an electrical circuit that converts alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) by using both positive and negative portions of the AC wave. This results in a smoother output voltage compared to a halfwave rectified circuit.

What is the purpose of using a fullwave rectified circuit?

The purpose of using a fullwave rectified circuit is to convert AC power into DC power, which is necessary for many electronic devices to operate. It also results in a more efficient use of power compared to a halfwave rectified circuit.

What is the difference between a fullwave rectified circuit and a halfwave rectified circuit?

The main difference between a fullwave rectified circuit and a halfwave rectified circuit is that a fullwave rectified circuit uses both positive and negative portions of the AC wave, while a halfwave rectified circuit only uses one of the two. This results in a smoother output voltage and more efficient use of power in a fullwave rectified circuit.

How does power flow in a fullwave rectified circuit?

In a fullwave rectified circuit, power flows in one direction from the AC source to the load. During the positive portion of the AC wave, the diode conducts and allows current to flow to the load, while during the negative portion of the AC wave, the diode blocks current from flowing back to the source. This results in a pulsating DC output voltage.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a fullwave rectified circuit?

The advantages of using a fullwave rectified circuit include a smoother output voltage, more efficient use of power, and the ability to use smaller and less expensive components. However, one disadvantage is that it requires more components and a more complex circuit design compared to a halfwave rectified circuit.