Power needed to keep car moving

• Thread starter VanKwisH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Power
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the power needed to keep a car traveling at a constant speed, given its initial and final velocities and the time it takes to slow down. The formula for power, P = W/t, was mentioned, and it was suggested to use the equation F = ma to find the force needed to maintain the car's velocity. The variables used were clarified, with F representing the force of the car, P representing power, and v representing velocity. The final answer was not given.
VanKwisH

Homework Statement

A 1200 kg car slows down from 90km/h to 70 km/h in about 5.0s on the level when it is in neutral. Approximately what power ( in watt's and hp ) is needed to keep the car traveling at a constant 80km/h?

Homework Equations

P = W / t

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea ... and
how much does 1hp = in watts and in joules ?
550 ft lbs/s = in joules and watts?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]P=\frac{dW}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}(Fs)=F\frac{ds}{dt}=Fv[/tex]if you have the change in velocity and the time it acts for...you can find acceleration and F=ma...so you can find the power

what does each of ur variables mean?? cause i think i use a different variables than u do and i find it confusing to understand

Oh well from the definition of power, the rate at which work,W, is done =[itex]\frac{dW}{dt}[/itex] since work done= Force(F)*distance(s) i.e.[itex]\frac{dW}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}(Fs)[/itex] since force is constant you can then re-write it like [itex]\frac{d}{dt}(Fs)=F\frac{ds}{dt}[/itex] and well [itex]v=\frac{ds}{dt}[/itex]

In short: F=Force of car
P=power
v=velocity of car

wha ? so the answer is?

1. How does the weight of a car affect the power needed to keep it moving?

The weight of a car directly affects the power needed to keep it moving. The heavier the car, the more power is required to overcome its inertia and maintain a constant speed.

2. Does the speed of the car impact the power needed to keep it moving?

Yes, the speed of the car does impact the power needed to keep it moving. As the car's speed increases, the power needed also increases due to air resistance and friction.

3. Can the power needed to keep a car moving vary depending on the terrain?

Yes, the power needed to keep a car moving can vary depending on the terrain. Driving uphill, for example, requires more power to overcome gravity, while driving downhill may require less power due to the force of gravity aiding the car's motion.

4. How does the type of engine affect the power needed to keep a car moving?

The type of engine can greatly affect the power needed to keep a car moving. A more powerful engine, such as a V8, will require more fuel and produce more power to keep the car moving at a certain speed compared to a smaller engine, such as a four-cylinder.

5. Is it more efficient to maintain a constant speed or accelerate and decelerate frequently while driving?

Maintaining a constant speed is more efficient in terms of power needed to keep a car moving. Accelerating and decelerating frequently requires more power as the car must overcome inertia and friction each time it changes speed.