1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of higher order mode beam

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the ratio of the power contained within a circle of radius W(z) in the transverse plane to the total power in the Hermite-Gaussian beams of order (1,0)

2. Relevant equations
    P=[itex]\int[/itex]IdA

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have determined the ratio for the Gaussian beam but the higher order modes have a extra 'x' or 'y' in the integral but I am integrating w.r.t r (r2=x2+y2). So how can I evaluate the integral?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2
    Why don't you integrate in Decartes coordinates x and y? Because, if I understood correctly, then the integral is can be represented as
    [itex]\int^{W(z)}_{0} x*e^{-x^2}dx \int^{\sqrt{W(z)^2-x^2}}_{0}y*e^{-y^2}dy [/itex]
    this is only a quarter of the full energy of course.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    I don't understand what is Decartes coordinates but I managed to solve it. Its simply x=rcos[itex]\vartheta[/itex]. Have no idea why I didn't think of that when I posted this. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook