Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power over Fiber residential application

1. Aug 19, 2009 #1
    I have a problem that can't be solved.

So then, I put it to this Physics Forum to see if anyone comes up with a brain storm ( or directs me to a solution which my expert may have been unaware of ).

Doing Power over Fiber is "impossible" today for a broad-based residential application because the conversion is so poor ... once you get up to 20 watts you only get 15-20 % maximum.
    As such, it has very limited application in small electronics. The cost also is prohibitive.

My objective is fiber optically wired homes doing not just data but power as well.
    Evidently, the power part is not possible. Does that apply as well if the power is DC?

Any ideas? Thanks
    ( and pardon me if my questions and statements lack clarity or rigor ).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. To power home electronics devices, you need much more power than can be delivered optically. Also, power wiring can be multi-drop, but FO connections are point-to-point. The difference in topologies means you will probably be running separate cables for each.

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3
    Thanks berkeman.

So then, nothing, anywhere that enables power over fiber in this type of an environment then eh? Don't mean to start my post so negative... rather than stating flatly " I have a problem that can't be solved."... might rather have added ... By Me!

5. Aug 19, 2009 #4

berkeman

Well, what kind of devices were you hoping to power? Can you list some explicit examples, and the power required by each?

6. Aug 19, 2009 #5
    The generation of the laser power source is inefficient, and receiving the power using some sort of solar panels is even more inefficient.

7. Aug 19, 2009 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Think what would happen if you broke the fiber and had a mere 1200 watts of light out in your room. Sun glasses anyone?

8. Aug 19, 2009 #7
    a couple of watts of laser beam is enough punch a hole in metal

9. Aug 19, 2009 #8

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can, however, use the existing power lines to transmit data. I don't know how noisy they are in the frequency bands needed, however. (I do know friends who successfully communicated between one wall socket and another for their senior project, and there are commercial products that do so, also).

10. Aug 19, 2009 #9

negitron

Science Advisor

Not emitted from the bare end of an optical fiber, it isn't.

11. Aug 19, 2009 #10
    To berkeman, all product in a typical home - the works really.

In terms of "breaking the fiber", someone described a feedback loop-sensor to eliminate the possibility.

Regards to "solar panels is even more inefficient" ... yup and we would definitely want solar...
    this is why I present the challenge to such an august group as this!

As far as using "existing power lines to transmit data" well, that is back to the problem we want to eliminate actually... dirty electricity.

The larger solution - if not fiber - becomes shielded cable. Thanks all.

12. Aug 20, 2009 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Hmmm... :grumpy:
    When I read the title of this thread, I thought that it had something to do with bran buds as an enemy of plumbing. You can't even imagine my disappointment upon having read the post.

13. Aug 20, 2009 #12

berkeman

LOL. Cherios give you power! :rofl:

14. Aug 20, 2009 #13

Danger

Gold Member

But nothing like natchos and beer. If you plumbed my *** to a turbine, I could probably power half of North America. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook