1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Rack Max Static Load

1. Jul 7, 2017 #1
    I'm a petroleum engineer, so this is outside of my wheelhouse... I'm also a fairly avid metal worker and fabricator. Also I ask this question out of a curiosity, not because I'm building a rack or basing a financial decision off of the verdict of any resulting calculations.

I feel like the "max weight limit" provided on power racks are bogus and generally on the low end (Specifically from Titan Fitness and Rogue Fitness). Titan states that their T-6 power rack (2''x3''x11guage with 5/8'' bolted construction) can support ~1000 lbs. Are they pulling these numbers out of their butt? and/or low balling it to cover them with any litigation?

I know I'm simplifying the "problem/math" by assuming a rigid structure with a static load, but I'd like to know the load required to buckle the 2x3x1/8 uprights (putting the load on 2 J-cups 3'' out from the upright). Are there any ballpark equations to figure this out? Also same question for the load being dynamic and impacting the 2 J-cups from a 12'' drop?

I'm assuming the load required to buckle the 2x3x1/8 uprights will be less than the load required to shear the 5/8'' pins on the J-cups.... I could be wrong about that too..... Also these 2x3x1/8 uprights have a good deal of holes drilled in them.

Rack Product Pages:
    Titan T-6: https://www.titan.fitness/cages-and-racks/t-6-racks/titan-t-6-series-power-rack-24-x-24.html
    Rogue R-8 :http://www.roguefitness.com/r6-power-rack

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is probably their primary motivation for the 1000 lb. limit.
    In practical terms, the rack would probably withstand a weight of twice that amount before it failed.

4. Jul 7, 2017 #3
    My thoughts exactly. Partially marketing too... They're making 3 x 3 x 7 gauge racks... They want to under cut the rated poundage on their second tier racks so they can sell their super racks to people who want the "top of the line."

5. Jul 8, 2017 #4
    From Titan:

"Hello JK29!

Thank you so much for your email. We use a combination of computer simulations and real-life testing to test the weight capacity of our racks. We recommend you stay within our prescribed weight limit for all our equipment for ease of use and safety!

Thank you,
    Shelby W"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted