Power required to climb a 20-m-tall building in 55s

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
ChetBarkley
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Summary:: A 90 kg firefighter needs to climb the stairs of a 20-m-tall building while carrying 40kg of gear. How much power does he need to reach the top of the building in 55s.

So first the total mass of our system is 130 kg. Using this mass, I found the potential energy the firefighter would have at the top of the building. Using U = mgy, I got 25480 J then knowing that power is just Jules over time I divided this by 55s and got 463 Watts. Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. That assumes perfect efficiency, but that's OK. In real life, much of the work done by the firefighter will go to thermal energy.