The Energy and Efficiency of Cross-Country Skiing: A Mathematical Analysis

In summary: But don't forget to convert N to J since work is measured in joules. So it would be 4.5 N x 1200 m = 5400 J.
snav96
  1. A cross-country skier ascends a peak and rises 300 m vertically during the ascent. Her mass including clothing skis, poles, shoes and backpack is 65 kg.
    1. (a) Find the minimum mechanical work needed to be done by the skier (neglect friction).
    2. (b) Why do we not need to consider the skier’s kinetic energy in part (a)?
    3. (c) What is the metabolic rate needed, if the efficiency for this activity is 11% and it took 30 min to climb up that 300 m? (‘rate’ here means energy/time, i.e. power).
    4. (d) If the mean sliding friction force opposing motion of the skis when slid forward with each stride is 4.5 N, how much energy is dissipated by friction in a distance of 1200 m measured along the path?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Potential Energy = 300 m x 9.8 x 65 Kg = 191100 J

b) because the speed stays constant. there's no change in kinetic energy [/B]

c) amount of efficient energy = 191100 x 0.11 = 21021 J
Power = 21021 / 30 x 60 = 11.68 w

d) ?

can anyone check to see if my answers are correct? and help me with part d? cause i have no idea how to answer part d

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
snav96 said:
A cross-country skier ascends a peak and rises 300 m vertically during the ascent. Her mass including clothing skis, poles, shoes and backpack is 65 kg.
  1. (a) Find the minimum mechanical work needed to be done by the skier (neglect friction).
  2. (b) Why do we not need to consider the skier’s kinetic energy in part (a)?
  3. (c) What is the metabolic rate needed, if the efficiency for this activity is 11% and it took 30 min to climb up that 300 m? (‘rate’ here means energy/time, i.e. power).
  4. (d) If the mean sliding friction force opposing motion of the skis when slid forward with each stride is 4.5 N, how much energy is dissipated by friction in a distance of 1200 m measured along the path?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/b]

a) Potential Energy = 300 m x 9.8 x 65 Kg = 191100 J

b) because the speed stays constant. there's no change in kinetic energy

c) amount of efficient energy = 191100 x 0.11 = 21021 J
Power = 21021 / 30 x 60 = 11.68 w
Efficiency is (useful output)/input. The useful output in this problem is the work needed to ascend the 300 m.

d) ?

Can anyone check to see if my answers are correct, and help me with part d Because I have no idea how to answer part d?
Part d is asking you to calculate the work done by friction.

vela said:
Efficiency is (useful output)/input. The useful output in this problem is the work needed to ascend the 300 m.Part d is asking you to calculate the work done by friction.
so it is it just 4.5N x 1200m ?

Yup.

1. What is work and energy?

Work and energy are two closely related concepts in physics. Work is defined as the application of a force over a distance, while energy is the ability to do work. In simpler terms, work is the transfer of energy from one form to another.

2. How do you calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied by the distance over which it is applied. The formula for work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is the joule (J), named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule. One joule is equal to the work done by a force of one newton (N) over a distance of one meter (m).

4. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are directly proportional to each other. This means that when work is done on an object, its energy increases, and when work is done by an object, its energy decreases. In other words, work is a measure of the change in an object's energy.

5. How can work and energy be transformed between different forms?

Work and energy can be transformed between different forms through various processes. For example, mechanical work can be transformed into electrical energy through a generator, and chemical energy can be transformed into mechanical work through an engine. The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.