1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Power series Construction Help

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    Very basic issue here.

Using:

[tex] \frac{1}{1-x} = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} x^{i} , |x|<0 [/tex]

Find the power series representation and interval of convergence for:

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{(1-3x)^{2}} [/tex]

We have that:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\left[\frac{1}{1-x}\right] = \frac{1}{(1-x)^{2}} = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} ix^{i-1} , |x| < 0 [/tex]

Of all things, the algebra of manipulating the function in question is stumping me. For some reason whatever I try doesn't seem to work.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Do you understand what they're doing here? Particularly in getting the summation at the end? This is basically the same as what you need to do with your series.

Also your inequality at the end is wrong. ##|x| \ge 0## for all real x.

4. Mar 10, 2016 #3

Math_QED

Homework Helper

If I am correct the series converges for all x: |x|<1. When you find the derivative of this series, it can be that the series converges in either -1 and or 1, so you might want to check that.

5. Mar 13, 2016 #4

Ssnow

Gold Member

yes, the initial series converges for ##|x|<1##. Observe that in the second case ##x## will be replaced by ##3x##, you must consider that ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted