Power series, formal power series and asymptotic series

In summary, formal power series are expressions of the form\sum_{n = 0}^\infty a_n x^nwhere the a_n are real (or complex) and x is just a symbol and does not denote a real or complex number. The ring of formal power series under obvious operations of addition and multiplication using the rule x^nx^m = x^{n + m} is isomorphic to the ring of real (or complex) sequences under appropriate definitions of addition and multiplication; if a : \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{R} and b : \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{R} are sequences then(a
Avichal
What's the difference between these three?
I only know Taylor series and its variants which I suppose is called power series (but I'm not sure). In that you just approximate around a single point using derivatives.

But what are formal powers series and asymptotic expansion?
I did see Wikipedia but all seem to be similar, I don't find anything very different among these three.

Physics news on Phys.org
Avichal said:
What's the difference between these three?
I only know Taylor series and its variants which I suppose is called power series (but I'm not sure). In that you just approximate around a single point using derivatives.

But what are formal powers series and asymptotic expansion?
I did see Wikipedia but all seem to be similar, I don't find anything very different among these three.

Formal power series are expressions of the form
[tex]
\sum_{n = 0}^\infty a_n x^n
[/tex]
where the [itex]a_n[/itex] are real (or complex) and [itex]x[/itex] is just a symbol and does not denote a real or complex number. The ring of formal power series under obvious operations of addition and multiplication using the rule [itex]x^nx^m = x^{n + m}[/itex] is isomorphic to the ring of real (or complex) sequences under appropriate definitions of addition and multiplication; if [itex]a : \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]b : \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] are sequences then
[tex]
(a + b)_n = a_n + b_n, \\
(a \times b)_n = \sum_{k=0}^n a_k b_{n-k}.
[/tex]

"Power series" are what you get if you take one of the above and decide that [itex]x[/itex] is actually a real (or complex) number, rather than a symbol. Then you have problem of determining whether you can actually do the sum, and we define
[tex]
\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} a_n x^n = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n = 0}^N a_n x^n
[/tex]
for all [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that the limit exists. Taylor series are a special case of power series.

Asymptotic series are entirely different, and we say that [itex]\sum_{n=0}^N a_n x^n[/itex] is asymptotic to [itex]f(x)[/itex] (written [itex]\sum_{n=0}^N a_n x^n \sim f(x)[/itex]) as [itex]x \to 0[/itex] if and only if for all [itex]M \leq N[/itex],
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sum_{n=0}^M a_n x^n - f(x)}{x^M} = 0
[/tex]

The idea is that a truncated series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^N a_n x^n[/itex] can provide a useful approximation to [itex]f[/itex] even when the full series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n[/itex] does not converge.

So when I write ex = 1 + 1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3 + ...
which type of series is this?
It is also a formal power series as x is just a symbol.

One more question: If I try to find all these for a function, does it require different techniques?

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series of the form ∑n=0 cn(x-a)n, where cn are coefficients, x is a variable, and a is a constant. It is a type of polynomial series that can be used to represent a wide range of functions.

2. What is a formal power series?

A formal power series is a power series where the coefficients are treated as abstract symbols rather than specific numbers. This allows for manipulation and operations to be performed on the series without needing to know the specific values of the coefficients.

3. How is a power series different from a formal power series?

A power series has specific coefficients that correspond to a specific function, while a formal power series has abstract coefficients that can be manipulated without knowledge of the function they represent. Additionally, a power series is used to approximate a function, while a formal power series is used for theoretical and mathematical purposes.

4. What is an asymptotic series?

An asymptotic series is a type of power series that is used to approximate a function in the limit as the variable approaches a certain value. It is often used to approximate functions that are difficult to evaluate directly.

5. How are power series and asymptotic series related?

Power series and asymptotic series are both types of mathematical series that are used to approximate functions. However, while power series are used for more precise approximations over a certain interval, asymptotic series are used for approximations as the variable approaches a specific value. Additionally, power series have a finite number of terms while asymptotic series have an infinite number of terms.