Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series, formal power series and asymptotic series

1. Feb 4, 2014 #1
    What's the difference between these three?
    I only know Taylor series and its variants which I suppose is called power series (but I'm not sure). In that you just approximate around a single point using derivatives.

But what are formal powers series and asymptotic expansion?
    I did see Wikipedia but all seem to be similar, I don't find anything very different among these three.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Formal power series are expressions of the form
    [tex]
    \sum_{n = 0}^\infty a_n x^n
    [/tex]
    where the [itex]a_n[/itex] are real (or complex) and [itex]x[/itex] is just a symbol and does not denote a real or complex number. The ring of formal power series under obvious operations of addition and multiplication using the rule [itex]x^nx^m = x^{n + m}[/itex] is isomorphic to the ring of real (or complex) sequences under appropriate definitions of addition and multiplication; if [itex]a : \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]b : \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] are sequences then
    [tex]
    (a + b)_n = a_n + b_n, \\
    (a \times b)_n = \sum_{k=0}^n a_k b_{n-k}.
    [/tex]

"Power series" are what you get if you take one of the above and decide that [itex]x[/itex] is actually a real (or complex) number, rather than a symbol. Then you have problem of determining whether you can actually do the sum, and we define
    [tex]
    \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} a_n x^n = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n = 0}^N a_n x^n
    [/tex]
    for all [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that the limit exists. Taylor series are a special case of power series.

Asymptotic series are entirely different, and we say that [itex]\sum_{n=0}^N a_n x^n[/itex] is asymptotic to [itex]f(x)[/itex] (written [itex]\sum_{n=0}^N a_n x^n \sim f(x)[/itex]) as [itex]x \to 0[/itex] if and only if for all [itex]M \leq N[/itex],
    [tex]
    \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sum_{n=0}^M a_n x^n - f(x)}{x^M} = 0
    [/tex]

The idea is that a truncated series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^N a_n x^n[/itex] can provide a useful approximation to [itex]f[/itex] even when the full series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n[/itex] does not converge.

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3
    So when I write ex = 1 + 1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3 + ...
    which type of series is this?
    It is also a formal power series as x is just a symbol.

One more question: If I try to find all these for a function, does it require different techniques?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook