Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question on power series of secant

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    Hey, everyone.

I am trying to find the power series of secant from the known power series of cosin, but my answer does not match up with Wolfram and Wikipedia.

I know:
    [itex]cos(\theta) = 1 - \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{4!}x^4 + ...[/itex]

So, using the first two terms (assuming a small angle), secant should equal...

[itex]sec(\theta) = \frac{1}{cos(\theta)} = \frac{1}{1 - \frac{1}{2}x^2} = \frac{2}{2-x^2}[/itex]

But everywhere I go says the first two terms of the power series for secant are:

[itex]sec(\theta) = 1 + \frac{1}{2}x^2[/itex]

I'm sure there's something (probably elementary) that I'm missing, but I have no idea what it is. Does it have something to do with the fact that I switched the sign of the exponent when taking the reciprocal?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are asking for a power series, right? But [itex]\frac{2}{2- x^2}[/itex] is NOT a power series. To get the corresponding power series, divide 2 by [itex]2- x^2[/itex]. [itex]2- x^2[/itex] divides into [itex]2+ 0x+ 0x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex] once and then [itex](2+ 0x+ 0x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot)- (2- x^2)= x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]. [itex]2- x^2[/itex] divides into [itex]x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[itex](1/2)x^2[/itex] times and then [itex]x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot- (1/2)x^2(2- x^2)= (1/2)x^4+\cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex] so to second power, the fraction is [itex]1+ (1/2)x^2[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook