Quick question on power series of secant

In summary, the conversation is about finding the power series for secant, based on the known power series for cosine. The person is getting a different result than what is found in other sources, and is unsure if they are missing something. It is clarified that the result they are getting is not a power series, and the correct answer is found by dividing 2 by 2-x^2 and then dividing again by x^2. The final power series for secant is 1+ (1/2)x^2+ (1/8)x^4+ ...
AmagicalFishy
Hey, everyone.

I am trying to find the power series of secant from the known power series of cosin, but my answer does not match up with Wolfram and Wikipedia.

I know:
[itex]cos(\theta) = 1 - \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{4!}x^4 + ...[/itex]

So, using the first two terms (assuming a small angle), secant should equal...

[itex]sec(\theta) = \frac{1}{cos(\theta)} = \frac{1}{1 - \frac{1}{2}x^2} = \frac{2}{2-x^2}[/itex]

But everywhere I go says the first two terms of the power series for secant are:

[itex]sec(\theta) = 1 + \frac{1}{2}x^2[/itex]

I'm sure there's something (probably elementary) that I'm missing, but I have no idea what it is. Does it have something to do with the fact that I switched the sign of the exponent when taking the reciprocal?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asking for a power series, right? But [itex]\frac{2}{2- x^2}[/itex] is NOT a power series. To get the corresponding power series, divide 2 by [itex]2- x^2[/itex]. [itex]2- x^2[/itex] divides into [itex]2+ 0x+ 0x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex] once and then [itex](2+ 0x+ 0x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot)- (2- x^2)= x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]. [itex]2- x^2[/itex] divides into [itex]x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[itex](1/2)x^2[/itex] times and then [itex]x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot- (1/2)x^2(2- x^2)= (1/2)x^4+\cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex] so to second power, the fraction is [itex]1+ (1/2)x^2[/itex]

1. What is a power series of secant?

A power series of secant is a mathematical series that represents the function of secant(x) as an infinite sum of polynomial terms.

2. How is a power series of secant calculated?

A power series of secant is calculated by using the formula for the Taylor series expansion of secant(x) around a given point, typically 0. This involves taking derivatives of the secant function and plugging in the value of 0 for each term.

3. What is the purpose of finding the power series of secant?

The power series of secant allows us to approximate the value of the secant function at any point, given its value at the chosen point of expansion. It also helps in solving equations involving secant(x) and in understanding the behavior of the function near the point of expansion.

4. Can the power series of secant be used for any value of x?

Technically, the power series of secant can be used for any value of x. However, as with any series, the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the distance from the point of expansion increases. Therefore, it is best to use the power series for values of x that are close to the point of expansion.

5. Are there any applications of the power series of secant in real life?

The power series of secant has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used in approximating the behavior of physical systems and in solving problems involving motion, such as pendulums and springs. It is also used in calculating the electric field of a point charge and in understanding the behavior of light and sound waves.