Asymptotic behavior of a power series near its branch point

In summary, a paper claims that a function ##f(z)## has an asymptotic series near ##z=1##, with terms ##a_k## decaying as ##k^{-\gamma}## at large k. This claim is backed up by a related paper which uses the Mellin transform to derive an asymptotic series for the Polylogarithm, and it seems that their method may apply to other series as well. Chapter 6 of "Analytic Combinatorics" by Flajolet and Sedgewick and a free online course on Coursera by Professor Sedgewick may also be useful resources for understanding asymptotic expansions near branch points.
Mute
Homework Helper
I was reading a paper the other day that made the following claim, and provided no reference for the assertion. I would like to find a reference or figure out how to derive the asymptotic behavior myself.

The situation is as follows:

Suppose we have a function ##f(z)##, defined as a power series about ##z=0##:

$$f(z) = \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k z^k.$$

We assume ##f(z)## has a radius of convergence ##|z| \leq 1##, and we can take ##f(1) = 1##. ##f(z)## can have a finite number of well-defined derivatives at ##z=1##, but at some order the derivatives do not exist at that point. Hence, ##f(z)## has a branch point at ##z = 1##. It can be analytically continued for ##|z| > 1##, with a branch cut running along the real axis from 1 to ##\infty##. For context, ##f(z)## is a probability-generating function in the paper I was reading, but I don't think that's relevant other than it sets ##f(1) = 1## (which really isn't all that important anyways).

The terms ##a_k## decay as ##k^{-\gamma}## at large k, for positive ##\gamma##.

The paper claims that ##f(z)## has an asymptotic series near ##z=1##,

$$f(z) \simeq 1 - b(1-z)^{\phi(\gamma)},$$
where ##b## is a positive constant and ##\phi(\gamma)## is an exponent that depends on the exponent of ##a_k \sim k^{-\gamma}##.

The actual claim in the paper goes the other direction: if a series ##\sum_k a_k z^k## with radius of convergence 1 has asymptotic behavior ##(1-z)^\phi## near ##z = 1##, then ##a_k \sim k^{-\phi - 1}##. In their claim, the exponent of the decay of ##a_k## is the same as the exponent of ##(1-z)^\phi##, but I think they may be considering a special case. As such, I'm interested in deriving the asymptotic behavior from the series.

Does anyone know any references on how to do this, or which derive the rresult? I know that the series for the Polylogarithm, ##\mbox{Li}_\gamma(z) = \sum_{k=1}^\infty z^k/k^\gamma##, or at least its analytic continuation, has a power series about ##\mu = 0## for ##z = \exp(\mu)##, but I'm wondering if the result claimed by the paper is actually a general result for all series having coefficients that decay as ##k^{-\gamma}##.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After some hunting through references and citing articles, I found a related paper which cites this paper: http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v83/i3/p678_1 .

In that paper, the author derives an asymptotic series for the Polylogarithm, but it looks like his method may apply to other series with finite radius of convergence.

The basic idea is to compute the Mellin transform of ##f(e^{-\alpha})##, with respect to ##\alpha##. Then, analytically continue the Mellin transform to the complex plane. For the polylogarithm, the transform is ##\Gamma(y)\zeta(\gamma + y)##, where ##y## is the Mellin-transform variable and ##\zeta## the Reimann zeta-function. These already have well-known analytic continuations. Then, using the inverse Mellin transform with the residue theorem, one can generate a series for ##f(e^{-\alpha})##, valid for ##|\alpha| < 2\pi##. The pole from the zeta function contributes a term proportional to ##\alpha^{\gamma-1}##. All other terms are integer powers of ##\alpha##. Hence, the dominant term in the expansion as ##\alpha \rightarrow 0## depends on the value of ##\gamma##.

The original paper I was following, which used this expansion without reference, was not clear about which ranges of ##\gamma## they were using when they quote various expansions of ##\sum_k a_k z^k##, when ##a_k \sim k^{-\gamma}##. Hence my confusion in the previous post.

Anywho, maybe this will be useful for someone else in the future, so I figured I'd post the overview of the details and the reference.

However, if anyone knows any good resources for asymptotic expansions near branch points, that would be appreciated!

Last edited:
You might be interested in "Analytic Combinatorics" by Flajolet and Sedgewick. Chapter 6 is "Singularity Analysis of Generating Functions".

Professor Sedgewick has just concluded a free online course using the book on Coursera: "Analytic Combinatorics, Part II".

https://class.coursera.org/introACpartII-001/class/index

Thanks for the reference! I'll check it out when I have a chance.

What is the definition of a branch point in a power series?

A branch point in a power series is a point at which the function becomes multivalued. This means that the function can take on different values depending on the path taken to approach the point.

What is the significance of a branch point in the asymptotic behavior of a power series?

A branch point can significantly affect the asymptotic behavior of a power series. It can cause the series to diverge or converge in unexpected ways, and can also affect the rate of convergence.

How can we determine the presence of a branch point in a power series?

A branch point can be identified by analyzing the coefficients of the power series. If there is a discontinuity or jump in the coefficients, it is likely that there is a branch point present.

What is the relationship between the distance from a branch point and the behavior of a power series?

The distance from a branch point has a significant impact on the behavior of a power series. The closer a point is to the branch point, the more likely it is to be affected by the multivalued nature of the function.

What are some techniques for analyzing the asymptotic behavior near a branch point?

Some techniques for analyzing the asymptotic behavior near a branch point include studying the behavior of the function along different paths, using analytic continuation to extend the function beyond the branch point, and using contour integration to evaluate the series.