1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series Questions

1. Feb 3, 2008 #1
    Hi:

I have 2 questions about Power Series. The 1st one is a h/w problem and the 2nd one is an example from a textbook which I am having difficulty to figure out.

Problem1:
    Given a power series g(x) = sum(0 to inf) of x^i/i!. Determine interval of convergence and compute g'(x).

Problem1 Solution:
    The 1st part I did - it is from -infinity to +infinity.
    To compute g'(x) is it just ix^i-1 /i! ?
    If not, plz advise.

Problem 2:
    This is from Thomas' Calculus textbook on pg 669 (I am paraphrasing)
    They are saying that 1/1+x = Sum ( 0 to inf) of (-1)^i * x^i.
    Given above we can see that log(1+x) = sum (0 to inf) of (-1)^i * x^i+1 / i+1

Problem 2 Questions
    Now this 1st part of the question, I proved as follows and I would like to know if it is right.
    Sum (0 to inf) of (-1^i)*x^i = Sum (1 to inf) of (-x^i). This is just a geometric series and it converges 1/1+x if |x| <1. Is this right?

For the second part: 1/1+x (given |x| <1): 1-x+x^2-x^3...
    If I integrate each term above, I will get it to the series (-1^i)*x^i+1 / i+1. I am not sure about this approach. Would this be a right way of proving it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It all looks fine to me. You should probably use more parentheses, things like x^i+1/i+1 are confusing. x^(i+1)/(i+1) is much nicer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?