Power series recurrence relations

In summary, when dealing with a series with a common range of summation for n >= 2, it is necessary to treat n = 0 and n = 1 separately. This can be done by writing the equations as [2r(r-1) + 3r - 1]c0 = 0 and [2(r+1)r + 3(r+1)-1]c1 = 0, which may appear to ignore the last (4th) series. However, in reality, the 4th sum is not being ignored but rather not explicitly written out as it starts at n = 2 unlike the others. Alternatively, the 4th sum can be thought of as starting at n =
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

In the following series':

http://image.cramster.com/answer-board/image/cramster-equation-2009410014306337491927047975008434.gif

According to my book, we only have a common range of summation here for n >= 2.

Therefore we need to treat n = 0 and n = 1 separately.

We thus write:

[2r(r-1) + 3r - 1]c0 = 0

and

[2(r+1)r + 3(r+1)-1]c1 = 0

My question is in both cases we ignored the last (4th) series to develop these two equations. How can we just ignore this power series?

I imagine it must be because its summation begins at n=2 unlike the others, but why are we allowed to ignore it up until n = 2?

Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi IniquiTrance! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
IniquiTrance said:
According to my book, we only have a common range of summation here for n >= 2.

Therefore we need to treat n = 0 and n = 1 separately.

We thus write:

[2r(r-1) + 3r - 1]c0 = 0

and

[2(r+1)r + 3(r+1)-1]c1 = 0

My question is in both cases we ignored the last (4th) series to develop these two equations. How can we just ignore this power series?

I imagine it must be because its summation begins at n=2 unlike the others, but why are we allowed to ignore it up until n = 2?

ah, but you're really writing:

([2r(r-1) + 3r - 1]c0 + 0)xr = 0

and

([2(r+1)r + 3(r+1) -1]c1 + 0)xr+1 = 0,

so you're not really ignoring the 4th sum at all, you're just not bothering to put in the zeros. :wink:

Alternatively, think of the 4th sum as starting at n = 0 like the others, and with c-1 and c-2 defined as 0 :smile:

Ah, ok much clearer now. Thank you!

1. What is a power series recurrence relation?

A power series recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of terms in a power series, in which each term is defined in terms of the previous term. It is commonly used to represent functions as power series.

2. How is a power series recurrence relation solved?

To solve a power series recurrence relation, one can use a variety of methods such as substitution, iteration, or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve manipulating the terms of the recurrence relation to find a closed form solution.

3. What are some real-world applications of power series recurrence relations?

Power series recurrence relations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model various phenomena such as population growth, heat transfer, and financial growth. They are also used in computer science and data analysis to approximate functions and solve differential equations.

4. Can a power series recurrence relation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a power series recurrence relation can have multiple solutions. This is because there are often infinite ways to define a function as a power series, and each definition can lead to a different solution to the recurrence relation.

5. Are there any limitations to using power series recurrence relations?

One limitation of using power series recurrence relations is that they may not always converge to a finite solution. This can happen when the recurrence relation has a singularity, or when the coefficients of the series grow too rapidly. In these cases, other methods such as numerical approximation may be necessary.