1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series Solution to a Diff EQ

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] !!!Power Series Solution to a Diff EQ!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the first 5 term of a Power series solution of

[tex]y'+2xy=0[/tex] (1)

Missed this class, so please bear with my attempt here.

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming that y takes the form

Then (1) can be written:

Re-written 'in phase' and with the same indices (in terms of k):

[tex]\Rightarrow c_1+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}[(k+1)c_{k+1}+2c_{k-1}]x^k=0[/tex]

Now invoking the identity property, I can say that all coefficients of powers of x are equal to zero (including [itex]c_1*x^0[/itex])

So I can write:

[itex]c_1=0[/itex] and

Now I am stuck (I know I am almost there though!)

Should I just start plugging in numbers for k=1,2,3,4,5 ? Will this generate enough 'recursiveness' to solve for the 1st five terms?

Is that the correct approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    Don't worry guys, I got it. And for those who might make future use of this thread, my approach was correct. Solving

For k=1,2....,9 generates enough coefficients to write out the first five nonzero terms of the solution by plugging them back into

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  4. Mar 24, 2008 #3
    I think you need one more initial condition on your series (example [itex] y(0)=x_0[/itex]). You need to define [itex] c_0[/itex] (or you can just leave [itex] c_0 [/itex] as the 'integration' constant of the ODE). However, the recursion formula becomes pretty obvious once you have that. If you can't see it right away, try plugging in a few values. Since [itex] c_1=0[/itex] what can we say about all the odd labelled coefficients? You should get something that looks like the series of an exponential function. In fact, the series will have a closed form solution if you can see how your answer relates to the exponential series.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?