Power switch, fireplace fan/vacuum

In summary, it is unclear what you are powering in the fireplace. A standard wall light switch should be adequate, but an electrician must be employed to be sure that it is installed to meet building codes.
grimofdoom
I have an old firelpace, and the main switch (originally a circuit for a variable resistor) broke and the old owners just rewired around the circuit board(cut the lines from it). I want to place a switch on one of the the lines. But the only switches I found were all rated at 3A 125VAC, 1.5A 150VAC. There is no circuit boards, and all lines are directly connected. Will the switches I have be safe to use, and now blow up/ catch fire?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is unclear what you are powering in the fireplace. If it is a heating element, it might need a lot of power. We really can't answer your question until you tell us how many watts are needed.

I am unsure what it is exactly, but it is either a fan or vacuum for moving air. there are 2 of them, both hooked up, and they consist of a cylindrical device.

If you are sure that there is no electric heating, a standard wall light switch should be adequate. But an electrician must be employed to be sure that it is installed to meet building codes.

Likes berkeman
The fireplace has a slot below with the 2 fans or vaccums, and the original switch broke on the device itself. It is not at all in any way connected or a part of the house itself. The entire piece comes out of the metal fireplace. (so I would not be even able to use wall switch if a wanted to)

http://www.fireplaceblowersonline.com/how-does-fireplace-blower-work.aspx two of these are plugged through one port on the wall outlet. the variable switch broke and I need to replace it.

Last edited:
An electrician can safely replace the spliced out rheostat with a switch. They would meet local electrical code regarding wire insulation, spacing, switch mounting, switch rating for the motor, and so on. No one here can know what will be required nor whether the old owners work was done safely (doubt it). Wiring in a fireplace is not something an untrained homeowner should attempt.

Likes berkeman
As already pointed out by multiple posters, you need to have an electrician help you with this. The cost of a simple visit by an electrician is worth the peace of mind that the job is done correctly. Thread is closed.

1. How does a power switch work?

A power switch is a device that controls the flow of electricity to a specific appliance or outlet. When the switch is turned on, it completes the electrical circuit and allows electricity to flow through. When the switch is turned off, the circuit is broken and electricity is no longer able to flow.

2. Can I install a power switch for my fireplace fan/vacuum?

Yes, you can install a power switch for your fireplace fan/vacuum. However, it is important to consult a professional electrician to ensure proper installation and to avoid any potential safety hazards.

3. What is the purpose of a fireplace fan/vacuum?

A fireplace fan/vacuum is used to circulate air and improve the efficiency of a fireplace by distributing heat throughout the room. A fireplace vacuum is used to clean up ash and debris from the fireplace to maintain its functionality and safety.

4. How do I clean and maintain my fireplace fan/vacuum?

To clean and maintain your fireplace fan/vacuum, make sure to turn off the power switch and unplug the device before starting. Use a soft cloth or brush to remove any dust or debris from the fan blades and vacuum filters. It is also important to regularly empty the vacuum bag and replace it if necessary.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a power switch for a fireplace fan/vacuum?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a power switch for a fireplace fan/vacuum. Make sure to always turn off the switch and unplug the device when not in use. Also, avoid using the switch if you notice any damage or frayed wires. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and consult a professional if you have any concerns or questions.