Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power switch, fireplace fan/vacuum

  1. Nov 28, 2015 #1
    I have an old firelpace, and the main switch (originally a circuit for a variable resistor) broke and the old owners just rewired around the circuit board(cut the lines from it). I want to place a switch on one of the the lines. But the only switches I found were all rated at 3A 125VAC, 1.5A 150VAC. There is no circuit boards, and all lines are directly connected. Will the switches I have be safe to use, and now blow up/ catch fire?
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2015 #2

    anorlunda

    Staff: Mentor

    It is unclear what you are powering in the fireplace. If it is a heating element, it might need a lot of power. We really can't answer your question until you tell us how many watts are needed.
     
  4. Nov 28, 2015 #3
    I am unsure what it is exactly, but it is either a fan or vacuum for moving air. there are 2 of them, both hooked up, and they consist of a cylindrical device.
     
  5. Nov 28, 2015 #4

    anorlunda

    Staff: Mentor

    If you are sure that there is no electric heating, a standard wall light switch should be adequate. But an electrician must be employed to be sure that it is installed to meet building codes.
     
  6. Nov 28, 2015 #5
    The fireplace has a slot below with the 2 fans or vaccums, and the original switch broke on the device itself. It is not at all in any way connected or a part of the house itself. The entire piece comes out of the metal fireplace. (so I would not be even able to use wall switch if a wanted to)

    http://www.fireplaceblowersonline.com/how-does-fireplace-blower-work.aspx two of these are plugged through one port on the wall outlet. the variable switch broke and I need to replace it.
     
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. Nov 28, 2015 #6

    meBigGuy

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    An electrician can safely replace the spliced out rheostat with a switch. They would meet local electrical code regarding wire insulation, spacing, switch mounting, switch rating for the motor, and so on. No one here can know what will be required nor whether the old owners work was done safely (doubt it). Wiring in a fireplace is not something an untrained homeowner should attempt.
     
  8. Nov 28, 2015 #7

    berkeman

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    As already pointed out by multiple posters, you need to have an electrician help you with this. The cost of a simple visit by an electrician is worth the peace of mind that the job is done correctly. Thread is closed.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Power switch, fireplace fan/vacuum
Loading...